Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Summer Goals

Does anyone else have anything they're going to try to do over the summer?

I'll be working and doing summer school, but I still wanna try to get some fun things done . Even if I wont get a vacation, I can still pretend, right?

... right?

1. I'm going to work out. I did all last summer and I really loved it... I was sad when I had to stop because of school, but hey... at least I can enjoy it over the summer .

2. I wanna learn French! I already know the basics of how to pronounce it, and I loooooooove the sound of French. So I'm gonna try to be really diligent and intense about learning some over the summer... basically just getting my pronunciation more solidly learned and hopefully learning enough to translate some simple phrases. I'm gonna try to see some French films, too, and listen to french operas/music/radio stuff just to get it in my ear better.

I also found a Wheel of Time site in French! It also has a forum, so maaaaaybe I could dip my toes into that later on.

3. I'm going to improve my voice. I've already talked to one of the voice teachers at my school about taking with him over the summer, and I'm determined to spend this time really ironing out a few of my vocal flaws... mostly it's weird tension stuff, like I wrinkle my forehead, or tilt my head back for high notes, or tend to cave my shoulders in when I get to the middle of a song.

4. I'm going to become the most amazing pianist ever.

Or, you know, just sort of work on my sight reading and stuff. Also probably try to do a little Hannon and what not to build my finger dexterity and strength up. I've been doing a lot of piano this semester, and I just want to build on that.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh, good idea! My immediate goal is to make lots of money. I think that goes hand-in-hand with my other goals. It's not so much self-improvement like usual, but standard of living improvement. I'd like to have a nice house that I could call a home, with nice curtains and matching bedsheets and a kitchen fully stocked with all the things I need to cook anything I might want, etc. I've gotten really used to the mindset of ignoring dissatisfaction. I think part of it is because I think that in a way, nothing will change no matter how much money I have. But I think there's a balance, and I think I could have a more comfortable life. I think it's ok if I dare to dream a little bit. So, my goal for the summer is to create an environment where I can be healthy and happy. The happiness may well come from the inside, but I think a nicer environment outside could go a long way in helping me relax and find that happiness.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That's a great goal . I think it's very worthwhile.

You can't expect money to bring you happiness, but if you know money can provide you with something to make you happier then I don't think that's a bad thing at all to strive for that.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Mari
Elf Lady

Summer goal 1:
get a job
Summer goal 2:
get enough money for tuition
Summer goal 3:
move back in with my parents, or depending on my sister's plans, with my sister
Summer goal 4:
Forget all about school, stress and thesises
Summer goal 5:
practice piano some more and go skating (roller-blading/whatever) on a regular basis as to improve my general condition and maybe try to participate in the August marathon after all, depending on how much I can build up my condition.
Summer goal 6:
get a tan and some summerclothes. That last one also being dependent on goal 1,2 and the love of my parents.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm not making any summer goals, the ones from the start of this year still apply. *sigh* Procrastinating little idiot, me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
2. I wanna learn French! I already know the basics of how to pronounce it, and I loooooooove the sound of French. So I'm gonna try to be really diligent and intense about learning some over the summer... basically just getting my pronunciation more solidly learned and hopefully learning enough to translate some simple phrases. I'm gonna try to see some French films, too, and listen to french operas/music/radio stuff just to get it in my ear better.
If you want to practise writing French, we've got a language thread here, and at least three other people besides me who can converse in French with you.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

I really should be writing my essay now.. but I just want to add my summer wishes

Lying on a beach

Lying on a beach

L_i_g _n _ b_a_h

_y_n_ o_ a _e_c_

For a really, really, really long time

Oh and lot's of other things but I don't have time to write an essay about that
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EƤrniel View Post
*sigh* Procrastinating little idiot, me.
HEY!!! Don't you talk about Earniel like that! Show some respect! o(>.<)O

Quote:
If you want to practice writing French, we've got a language thread here, and at least three other people besides me who can converse in French with you.
Ooooooooh. Oie! ^_^
Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Goals:

1 - Read Umbert Eco, Foucault's Pendulum, and maybe a second book.

2 - Read the Sandman; though I normally don't read comic books, they're supposed to be the closest thing to Art in a graphic novel form.

3 - Read something else leisurely...maybe more Graham Greene, maybe more Waugh, maybe get started on P. J. Wodehouse.

4 - Read War and Peace to start off seminar next year.

5 - Read lots of books on beauty and art, and think about my senior thesis.

6 - Listen to lots of different classical composers.

7 - Find some good atonal music; the library at my college doesn't seem to have any.

8 - Tess, I was thinking of taking a French course at the local community college over the summer, too. I was also thinking of taking singing lessons. I suppose I'll really only be able to do one of those...must choose...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Take singing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only say that because singing is so danged fun, and because you can teach yourself French. Not so.... or at least not so -easily-... with singing. Seriously, if you're interested in singing and you have the chance to get a teacher, get the teacher. You will save yourself weeks, months, maybe even years of wasted time trying to 'hear' yourself and figure out what needs to be fixed. For reelz.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah, I'm leaning much more towards singing. I should figure out how to find a singing teacher soon. Probably not this week, though... I don't suppose you have any advice on finding singing teachers in your area?

But yeah, singing is really danged fun. I really love singing, but I also really suck at it, which is a very bad combination for those around me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post

2 - Read the Sandman; though I normally don't read comic books, they're supposed to be the closest thing to Art in a graphic novel form.
Oh my.... that statement is just ... wrong. >.< Comics are a world away from graphic novels, you heathen scum. (Not that comics are bad... gotta love those marvel classics). Now. After Gaiman, you must promise me that you'll read something like V for Vendetta or Watchmen. Please.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Yeah, I'm leaning much more towards singing. I should figure out how to find a singing teacher soon. Probably not this week, though... I don't suppose you have any advice on finding singing teachers in your area?

But yeah, singing is really danged fun. I really love singing, but I also really suck at it, which is a very bad combination for those around me.
Indeed I do. Go here:

http://www.nats.org/find_teacher.php

These people are more likely to be good teachers than your average joe, simply because of the membership requirements. I haven't heard bad things about more than a handful of the members that I've met, but I've heard (and experienced) bad things with a LOT of non-NATS teachers. (NATS is for National Association of Teachers of Singing)

They might be a tad expensive, but really... you do get what you pay for. These people will be good teachers, and you'll make progress.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
Oh my.... that statement is just ... wrong. >.< Comics are a world away from graphic novels, you heathen scum. (Not that comics are bad... gotta love those marvel classics). Now. After Gaiman, you must promise me that you'll read something like V for Vendetta or Watchmen. Please.
Sorry, sorry, sorry for calling the Sandman "comic books..." To make it up to you, I'll read Watchmen sometime in the not-too-distant future.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Indeed I do. Go here:

http://www.nats.org/find_teacher.php

These people are more likely to be good teachers than your average joe, simply because of the membership requirements. I haven't heard bad things about more than a handful of the members that I've met, but I've heard (and experienced) bad things with a LOT of non-NATS teachers. (NATS is for National Association of Teachers of Singing)

They might be a tad expensive, but really... you do get what you pay for. These people will be good teachers, and you'll make progress.
What exactly are you thinking in terms of "a tad expensive"?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That really depends on the teacher. It could be anywhere from $20-60 for a half hour to an hour.

From some NATS teachers I know who teach outside of the college level:

One teacher charged $35 for a half hour, $55 for an hour.
One teacher charged a dollar a minute ($30 half hour, $60 hour)
One teacher charged $20 for a half hour, and $40 for an hour.
And the other one I can remember said she charged $25 per half hour.

The teacher I'll be taking with this summer charges $40 an hour.

The teachers I had previously tended to charge around $10-15 per half hour, except for the one guy who was part of a small music school and he cost $88 a month... so $22 per half hour. He was definitely a step up from the typical teacher, despite his not being a NATS member, because he was so passionate about the technical -and- emotional aspects of music.

Depends on the teacher, but -typically- you'll start out with one 30 minute lesson a week, or one hour long session every two weeks. I would suggest you try for the 30 minutes a week.

Last edited by Tessar : 05-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem

I'm guessing it would be a problem if I'm not sure whether I'm a baritone or a tenor; I probably need to figure that out before I look for a singing teacher, eh?

Do you think these people would be willing to work with someone who's had no voice lessons, no choir, literally nothing to work on their voice?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Don't even try to diagnose yourself . Leave that to them.

They may not even want to tell you what you are. For instance I went to my first voice teacher and she said, "well, you have a Bass' range, but I don't think you are one. We'll see what happens." And as I sang, my range didn't change, but my sound got lighter.

With my next teacher, I said, "I think I'm a Bass," and he said, "well you sound like a tenor. We'll see." And my sound stayed the same, but my range moved up, so we assumed I was a baritone of some kind, probably a lyric.

Now my sound is a lot fuller than it use to be, but still very light. To a lot of untrained people I sound like a tenor, but most singers can tell I'm a baritone of some kind. We're currently calling me a lyric baritone, because that's what 'fits' in my voice right now. It might change in the future though... who knows? My voice wont stop changing for probably another 6-7 years.

But really... that's quite unimportant, especially at first. I mean, it's unlikely you're going to bust out into an aria in your first lesson, soooo... :P Yeah, don't worry about it. They'll help you figure it out as your voice develops. Their first job will just to be to figure out what your current usable range is, and they'll work from there.

And yes, I think 9/10ths of them would be happy to work with someone who has no training.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

I want to take lessons too! I really like singing but my voice is so mediocre right now...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
Mari
Elf Lady

Maybe we should start a class with Tessar teaching us And anyone else able to teach of course.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'll probably try to write another book.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote