Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Celeborn's age

Does anyone know how old Celeborn is? he's a kinsman of Thingol, but does that mean he was born at Cuivienen(?), or on the Great Jouney, or at Doriath?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Tolkien changed his idea on this a few times. Originally, he was seen as a close decendent of Thingol, but later a good bit older, possibly on par with Galadriel, born in Valinor or a bit earlier.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

My understanding was that Celeborn hadn't been to Valinor, but lived in Doriath.

I am aware that the story of Celeborn and Galadriel was changed many times and no "final" version was settled upon by JRRT before his death.

Unfinished Tales has various bits and pieces of these versions.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

I always go by published info in these cases, as christopher Tolkien said himself the silmarillion is the official story; the home presented corrections, but for continuuity you follow the sil.

in the sil, he was said to be a prince of Doriath and close kin to thingol, so I assume he was born sometime after the awakening but probably before the founding of Doriath.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
jammi567

Yeah, maybe on the jouney to valinor
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

He's Thingol's, brother's grandson, if you look at the family trees in the back. It's probably safe to assume that he is a little older, but probably close to the same age as his lady. Give or take a century or two.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 12-06-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
jammi567

Routhly what i was thinking.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
I always go by published info in these cases, as christopher Tolkien said himself the silmarillion is the official story; the home presented corrections, but for continuuity you follow the sil.

in the sil, he was said to be a prince of Doriath and close kin to thingol, so I assume he was born sometime after the awakening but probably before the founding of Doriath.
True, however UT mentions that Tolkien's later writings pointed to the possibility of Celeborn and Galadriel meeting in Valinor, and JRR may have even been intending to fit this into the final rewrite of the Sil, which he could not complete before his death.

So, while CT may call the Sil "the official story", JRR might not agree.

To me, the official story is undecided, as is true with much regarding the first age.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Yes you are right, I do believe that JRR would have changed it to that version of the story where galadriel actually leaves valinor before feanor does. But that did not happen, what is published is what I would go by not the later notes etc.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
jammi567

But how do you know that those later notes wouldn't been incorproated into the sil, had he lived longer.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I guess because that would require knowing what JRRT's intentions were, even though he may not have known them himself.

He footered with the story of G & C for decades, and might never have stopped...
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

It would also depend at what point you asked JRRT. And when is the most important point? His initial conception? While he was writing LOTR? The most comprehensive account he wrote? The last account he wrote? His final (unwritten) thoughts on the subject?

While Christopher's approach may not resolve what his father would have preferred - I think it's the best solution - just by setting up something comprehensive and rather final. I think his father would have approved of the approach - even if not the end result.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Because the time flow in Aman was more suited to a leisurely Elf life(note how when the Felllowship is in Lorien, where this is similated to power of Nenya, they experience a month as if it were a few days), I suspect that generations were much closer together in Beleriand, and that X generations done from Thingol's were born sooner than x genrations down from Finwe.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-24-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #14
Alcuin
Salt Miner

If I remember correctly, I believe the Eldar did complain that as time passed most swiftly for them in Middle-earth: specifically, they faded in Middle-earth faster than in Aman. But an example using the generations of Thingol compared to those of his friend Finwë is in error: Thingol produced one generation of offspring – Lúthien – while Finwë enjoyed at least two generations in the same time – and two marriages, unique in Elven history.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
Landroval
Elven Warrior

I wouldn't say the remarriage of Finwe was unique - though it may have been the only recorded one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the severance of marriage, Later Quenta Silmarillion, HoME X
Thus it is that the cases in which remarriage of the Eldar can take place are rare, but rarer still are those who do this, even when it is permissible. For the sorrow and strife in the house of Finwe is graven in the memory of the Eldar.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote