Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

The World Cup

Germany, 2006.

31 of the best teams (and the USA) (just kidding guys! )

gather for the largest, most watched most gripping festival on any global scale ever seen.

England expects. A sea of red and white flags of St george festoon England and wherever the faithful gather around the world.

Unusually there is, beyond hope, some real optimism that this maybe our time!

Witness a country literally go Mad and come to a stop if we do!

reserved? Hah!!!

Who you guys wanna win? Thoughts? Hopes? dreams?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-09-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ha ha! I was JUST about to start this thread and scold you european/south american types for letting an american beat you to the punch on the biggest sporting event on earth.

Should be a fun time as always. I say look for the Dutch in an upset.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I was going to start this thread earlier (I think I started the last World Cup one) but I couldn't stand the thought of more people talking about Wayne Rooney's foot
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

My top three teams:

1. USA - duh.
2. England - I was in England during the Euro Cup in '04 and I was impressed by all the patriotism and even the coverage on the front page of newspapers. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. I've got a St. George's flag on my wall.
3. The Dutch - I remember pulling for them back in 1998 because I liked their orange uniforms. Plus, they were really nice to me and my family when I had my emergency landing in Amsterdam. I like the Dutch people.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Brazil will dominate and defend their title!

But I kinda think and hope England will go far in this tournament and might even win the world cup if Brazil doesn't make it all the way (which they will, since they play so beautifully).

Hope Sweden does well too!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Brazil will win it IMO. Beat Argentina in the final. I've got a feeling that the Czech's will do quite well.

There is a predictor on the BBC website where you can put in your predicted results. It's here.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Janny
The Blobbit

Oooh the England match has kicked off. I have to say (being away from a TV) that internet updates could be incredibly... hey we've scored. Yes. Much less exciting than on TV.

USA is ranked number 5 in the world by FIFA...
*shrugs*
Do they operate a system where ranked 1 is bad?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #8
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well England won ...not a great game or performance ....

i wouldn't say the Dutch winning would be much of an upset Insidious!! very good fottball nation and good team as usual - but yeah i gotta lot of time for the dutch team and fans!

what about tiny trinidad and tobago (i call them Trinidad and tobasco sauce usually - can't get it out of my head ) drawing with sweden heh??

classic!

germany have started well -which is good for the competition and the feeling in the host country.

The Argentina Ivory coast game looked good - only saw the highlights!
Quote:
USA is ranked number 5 in the world by FIFA...
*shrugs*
Do they operate a system where ranked 1 is bad?

nah ..it's based on average butt size ...

yeah that IS kinda crazy statistic - you know whats even weider - the Americans don't understand not to take it seriously!!!!! *BB rolls on floor!*

The irony just seems to get lost somewhere ... maybe that is what makes the average butt size so big???

mind you they have got better and they are always competitive - it's that english spirit they have inherited!

so ...TD - how are you, man? You supporting the three lions or you being all welsh nationalist and supporting Trinidad and tobago (ot tobasco) like a lot of the welsh???

very best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-11-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Trinidad and Tobago. What a headache...
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I support France... I'm not exactly sure why, except my brother has bullied me into it. He rants on about Zidane and Henry, till I could scream. He did it last time as well, which is why I ended up in tears when France didn't win...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
so ...TD - how are you, man? You supporting the three lions or you being all welsh nationalist and su
No, I'm supporting England.

Argentina looked very impressive last night. Riquelme was playing very well in the middle of midfeild.
That looks like a really good group. Ivory Coast played well last night and Serbia and Montenegro are giving the Dutch a good run for their money.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You know, Americans do know how to play soccer. I'm sure they deserve their 5th ranked spot. It's just that it doesn't get televised as much as some other sports. Canadians know something about soccer too, in fact we are pretty good. Not making the World Cup good, but good.

I want Ghana to do well in their pool. At least to win one game. It would be awesome if they were to win, but I don't think that's going to be happening.

Ghana has some tough match-ups:
12 Jun ITA : GHA 21:00
17 Jun CZE : GHA 18:00
22 Jun GHA : USA 16:00

These times are local. Does that mean German time? Is that GMT+2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Trinidad and Tobago. What a headache...
Ties Sweden 0-0!! Wow!

Last time around I was cheering for Germany - my parents and I actually got up at 4am to watch it! I thought they played excellently even though Brazil still beat them.

You know, this World Cup I'm having a hard time choosing who to cheer for. Germany again (they still have Oliver Khan! <3)? England (I like this team and I think they really have a chance!)? Ghana (I would love to see an African team win, and I tend to cheer for the underdogs too)? Trinidad and Tobago (they are just awesome)? Sweden (jag älskar Sverige!)? Brazil?

I like the way Brazil plays soccer even though I don't usually cheer for the top dog. Something like 8 of 10 games on European soil has been won by European teams. If anyone can beat those odds, Brazil can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I was going to start this thread earlier (I think I started the last World Cup one) but I couldn't stand the thought of more people talking about Wayne Rooney's foot
So, I heard that it's injured, but maybe he'll be able to play and y'know he'd be a great asset for England they might even win this year!

Just buggin you Sunny!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 06-11-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
You know, Americans do know how to play soccer. I'm sure they deserve their 5th ranked spot.
Very unlikely. It seems like the rank of FIFA is determined by all wins and loses, not only of world cups and such - meaning that the US plays usually against other Noth American teams... which generally suck except Mexico maybe. Therefore it has a good score, relatively.

Quote:
These times are local. Does that mean German time? Is that GMT+2?
GMT+1 I think.

Quite sad for Sweden really.. but you can still get to the "Round of 16" (dunno how to say it in English)... and Sweden is never good at the first game anyway.

Me... I must say I'm more against Brazil this time than supporting any specific team. Don't like Germany either... I think I'll like Italy or England or Argentina to win, or more preferably some new team like Holland or Portugal.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

Sweden will still qualify probably. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat England. I would be surprised if T&T beat England...

Radagast, it tends to be called the "last 16". With the other knock out matches it's called the "second round" or the "knock-out phase". We have plenty of silly words

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Nurv ... where to start!

it's football (not "soccer") the world over except in the uSA (canada too???)

it's games not "macth-ups"

it's a draw or drawing not "ties"

Only once has any south american team (you are correct on Brazil) won IN EUROPE ...not twice.

there are plenty of African teams -any reason why Ghana?

Ivory coast are very good - but they are in the group of death.

germany is +1 hour to england, thus +2 GMT in the summer ...

Good on ya TD!!!

Serenoli!!!! ... dear Serenoli !! .... et tu? oh dear ..oh dear birthday girl ...

(Henry truly is SUPERB though! )

Nice choices Radagast!

yes ...rooney's foot and metatarsal .... wotcha Sun star and janny!!!

Angola were plucky against portugal tonight.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #16
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Almost happy Norway isn't playing, makes for much more fun watching you guys quarrel.

Hoping for Brazil to win, always had a soft spot for the -iño's. A lot of teams that can surprise though...

Last edited by Falagar : 06-11-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nurv ... where to start!

it's football (not "soccer") the world over except in the uSA (canada too???)

it's games not "macth-ups"

it's a draw or drawing not "ties"
Heya BB! Okay, first I'll explain my odd language. While the rest of the world says "football", Canadians and Americans say "soccer". I normally say "football" when discussing this sport on an international stage like Entmoot, but in my post I was talking about the American team, and American football usually refers to the rugby knock-off with downs, not actual football. Henceforth I will always say football in this thread to avoid confusion.

I know they're called "games" - I played football myself for ten years! I just said match-ups because the teams are matched up for future games. I would have said games if they had already played. This one is me not making sense, not a Canadian thing.

"Ties" instead of "draw" is a Canadian thing - we use the two words interchangeably, though we never say "drawing".

Quote:
Only once has any south american team (you are correct on Brazil) won IN EUROPE ...not twice.

there are plenty of African teams -any reason why Ghana?

Ivory coast are very good - but they are in the group of death.

germany is +1 hour to england, thus +2 GMT in the summer ...

Good on ya TD!!!
Good old Brazil. And I so very much love Ronaldo and Ronaldino. <3 I thought the odds we're stacked against them, I just forgot if it was once or twice. Brazil has a really good chance of winning again.

I love all the African teams, but I like Ghana for the same reason I like the Ottawa Senators NHL hockey team - no particular reason! (Though, the Sens do play some great hockey.) For some reason I can't explain, I just like Ghana. Maybe it's because they are the youngest team in the Cup? It seems to me that they have a lot of heart, though I've never actually seen them play.

I'd say Côte d'Ivoire is in a very difficult group. They have to face Argentina, an unbelieveably fantastic team. And if that wasn't bad enough, they have the Netherlands too! Serbia and Montenegro aren't exactly push-oevers either.

However, Ghana is in a tough group as well. Italy and the Czech Republic are excellent, and the USA has been doing very well. Then again, anyone who qualifies for the World Cup certainly doesn't stink.

I think Japan has the hardest group of all though. They face Australia, Croatia, and the Fakirs of Football themselves, Brazil! If I was a World Cup qualifying football team, I'd want to be in a Brazil-less group so I'd have a better chance of at least making it to the next round. Then agian, getting your butt handed to you by Brazil is quite the honour.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #18
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I dunno, Nurv, I'd love to be in Brazil's group, because a) two teams qualify out, so you still have a chance (and the rest of Brazil's group tends to suck: see the Aussies who failed to score a goal last time they were in the Cup) and b) you'd be guaranteed not to face them in the next round... which is a blessing.

Watching the Portugal-Angola match was interesting... Angola's goalie was quite good, but their attack was awful. They never hit anyone in stride with the ball.

USA game tomorrow morning (for me). Go Stars and Stripes! But since they almost certainly won't win , Go England.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Two teams qualify? That changes everything! You're absolutely right CC.

Cheer for your favourite team! Will them to victory with the sheer powers of your mind!
Quote:
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #20
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Hey Nurv!

Sheer power of the mind? ... that works you know!!! .... at the start of the England game my mental powers were indeed heady.

result? We secored after 4 minutes.

But like the collective rest of England this state of affairs deterioraited very rapidly on a swelteringly hot day .... the mental prowess of a Nation went master-mind pear shaped in measures, easy to measure: pints! a uniquitous steady flow of cold pints.

The only heady thing after that was the befuddlement in Sven goran Erikson's (england manager) mind as the collective mental beer haze projection from England must have addled his brain ...

(if we are relying on the sober mental concentration from blighty on England match days ..... we're Dooooooooooooomed!

(mind you for the sheer enthusiam or will power, it is pretty damn raw and blisteringly powerful)

You are right Count C, ther Argie/Dutch/Serbs/Ivory coast group is defintely the strongest: it's just a real shame Holland play Argentina last - that may have put a few cats among the pigeons if they had played first!

Angola did quite well against their ex Colonial oppressors (Portugal - lovely place, great people sexy kinda footy team on the whole) - Angola managed to keep enough players on the field for the game not to have to be abandoned this time!!!

(there was a hideous bloody civil war when they became independent from portugal)

Good luck USA - despite the silliness of the statistical FIFA rankings - you guys are getting better and better.

The czechs are many people's "dark horses" or "outside bet". But you guys should give em a good game - quite an interesting game this one...

best all, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-12-2006 at 04:40 AM.