Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

ratemyteacher.com

this site is great for all the entmooting students go to http://www.ratemyteachers.com/SelectSchool.jsp all you have to do is put in your schools name and if there are no teachers add them in and you can comment on them. my vice principal saw some of the comments about him and he thought they were just funny
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 11-27-2003 at 11:20 AM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

You know it's funny. Students have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. I recently read an article that was about worst jobs. They mentioned teachers as one of them. And I have to agree.

You should see all the paperwork that teachers have to complete, submit and keep up with in the 45 minutes per day they are alotted for administrative work. However, that 45 minutes is also taken up with meetings, planning lessons, calling parents, etc.

In addition to helping students pass a subject that they don't want to learn or see no value in, they have to take crap from rude students and their rude parents, who only want to enable their never-does-wrong kids to continue being obnoxious. Principals turn against them, and don't back them up, throwing the teacher to the wolves, so to speak, to save their own butts.

You know all those extracurricular clubs after school? That tutoring? Those field trips? Teachers don't get paid extra for doing that stuff. They do it for the students.

No one respects teachers at all. Not the students, not the parents, not the administrators, and certainly not the media.

Texas just passed a bill that allows for school districts to hire anyone with a college degree and no teaching skills, education background, or certification, to be a classroom or special education teacher.

Why do you think that needed to be passed? Because the new teachers aren't stupid. They know they can get a better job someplace else that will at least show them the courtesy and respect any human being should get. And they are leaving their teaching careers for careers with less stress, better benefits, more pay and more respect.

Currently, teachers in the Austin Independent School District make $33,510 (if you have a masters or phD starting salary is $34,330) and pay from $184.00/month for health benefits for the employee only to $1,229.35/month for the whole family to be covered. (As found on their webpage.) The cost of living in Austin is fairly high for Texas.

What the students will be getting in public and private schools are people with absolutely no teaching background. And once these people see that teaching isn't just "summers off", they'll be leaving too. I predict teaching to be a high turnover job in the future.

So before you go to this site and post hateful crap about how much your teachers suck, think first. Would you want that job? I know I wouldn't.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well said Ruinel.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Excellent points, Ruinel. I would also add this: I have seen similar sites (or maybe that same one) in the past, and teachers tend to get bad ratings for such doing horrible things as assigning homework, requiring research projects, having tests that are "too hard," and the like. Mostly it's just bad students with a grudge who post on those things, and they hardly reflect reality; all of the techers I've had who really were bad would get the highest ratings because they didn't make students do anything (i.e. didn't teach).
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

my mother and grandma were terachers for years. my mom quit because she could take the complete BS of the job.
your absolutely correct, runiel.
it is thankless.. and pays beans.
when i don'tlike a teacher, its beacause they play favourites, let the favourite children slide with late assignments and basically try and find a date among thier class that semester...
...no, that isn't about my public speaking teacher....

ok, so it is...
Old 11-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

ok Runiel, but some teachers still suck.

Students go through a lot - tons of homework and stress.

Sure teachers have paper work and they have to grade tests and put up with our crap - but we have to put up with their crap.

And it is THEIR JOB, as in their choice. And they are being paid to be there, were aren't

Some teachers really really are bad and just don't care about the students. Others are good - but I find that number to be very small.

They get off in the summer. (some take summer jobs as counselors and stuff, but not most).

Ratemyteachers.com is a great place to vent about your teachers anonymously.

Some teachers ARE just plain mean, don't care about students, don't offer extra help, favor girls, play favorites in general, don't even read your papers (some, yes), may be boring, ET CETERA.

We do know what it takes to be a teacher.

Again - it is their job. And no offense to new teachers, but the new teachers are not as good (not all, but most imo) as the older ones - why? Because liike you said, would-be teachers are going into other fields. Before, women would want to be teachers - now they want better jobs. A lot of new teachers were B AND C students when they went to school.

I have great respect for some teachers - and others absolutely none.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree some teachers do suck. There was a teacher that was just arrested in NY. She allegedly sprayed this boys pants with air freshener and then sprayed it in his mouth - because he farted in class. The boy has down syndrome too. If she can't handle the job - she shouldn't be there.

Brooklyn Teacher In Trouble After Alleged Spray Can Incident

Just like there are bad and disrespectful parents and students - there are also terrible teachers. The teaching profession is also the only profession which has guaranteed employment known as tenor. The most ridiculous thing in the world. Usually once teachers reach tenor they don't do anything.

Everyone has stress in their careers and most people put in extra hours that they don't get paid for. Teachers don't have a monopoly on that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-27-2003 at 03:58 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
HOBBIT

thats not how you spell it? isn't it tunure or something?

Yeah, teachers are among the only employed ppl who have job security. No fair!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 11-27-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
thats not how you spell it? isn't it tunure or something?
It's tenure - it was just a misspelling because I typed it quickly.

I'll make sure I point out all your misspellings tristan. Like you misspelled tenure while trying to tell me that I misspelled it. You at least - if you knew it was wrong - could have looked it up in the dictionary.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-27-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
it was just a misspelling because I typed it quickly.
Twice?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #11
HOBBIT

haha tenor twice? i missed and and put u.

at least i was closer than you.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #12
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Twice?
YES TWICE.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #13
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

I wish i could rate my school but it is elementary(Sp?) so it won't say
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:53 AM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah, teachers are among the only employed ppl who have job security. No fair!
What a disgrace! Imagine being allowed to go around not thinking you could get the sack at any moment. You'd think we lived in a civilised society or something.

I'm with Ruinel here. Teaching is one of the most important jobs in our society, and one of the most reviled. Never mind the fact that they train the next generation of taxpayers who will be paying for our pensions and health care when we're old and incontinent: they look after our kids all day so we can go out and have a life. For that alone they deserve better treatment.

I'm sure that there are some bad teachers, like there are in all professions. What you don't get in other professions (apart from health care and social work) is splashed all over the newspapers or threatened by parents if you make a mistake.

It's also true that the pay is crap. One of the reasons I left my tenured teaching job in 1995 was because, if I'd stayed there, I would have found myself in the position of working for a university for 20-odd years and being unable to afford to send my kids to one.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #15
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

A lot of people shouldn’t be teachers. Like, at my old school, a Christian school (I thought theyre supposed to be picky about their teachers) a teacher molested my friend, at the beginning of the year (I had switched schools). I may have mentioned it before. But yeah, he always seemed a little too friendly with his students…
Old 11-28-2003, 11:18 AM   #16
HOBBIT

Quote:
What a disgrace! Imagine being allowed to go around not thinking you could get the sack at any moment. You'd think we lived in a civilised society or something.

Eh, it isn't fair. Why should teachers get tenure and no one else? Lawyers and ppl working in corporations (or pretty much anywhere) could get fired at anytime!

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Its good for the teachers, because after they get it, they can start doing a horrible job - and many do do that. But it still is not fair.

Do they deserve that job security? Nah. Its abused too much. It is such a hassle to get a teacher fired.

Don't teachers get more the longer they've been teaching?

Old 11-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #17
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
You know it's funny. Students have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. I recently read an article that was about worst jobs. They mentioned teachers as one of them. And I have to agree.

You should see all the paperwork that teachers have to complete, submit and keep up with in the 45 minutes per day they are alotted for administrative work. However, that 45 minutes is also taken up with meetings, planning lessons, calling parents, etc.

In addition to helping students pass a subject that they don't want to learn or see no value in, they have to take crap from rude students and their rude parents, who only want to enable their never-does-wrong kids to continue being obnoxious. Principals turn against them, and don't back them up, throwing the teacher to the wolves, so to speak, to save their own butts.

You know all those extracurricular clubs after school? That tutoring? Those field trips? Teachers don't get paid extra for doing that stuff. They do it for the students.

No one respects teachers at all. Not the students, not the parents, not the administrators, and certainly not the media.

Texas just passed a bill that allows for school districts to hire anyone with a college degree and no teaching skills, education background, or certification, to be a classroom or special education teacher.

Why do you think that needed to be passed? Because the new teachers aren't stupid. They know they can get a better job someplace else that will at least show them the courtesy and respect any human being should get. And they are leaving their teaching careers for careers with less stress, better benefits, more pay and more respect.

Currently, teachers in the Austin Independent School District make $33,510 (if you have a masters or phD starting salary is $34,330) and pay from $184.00/month for health benefits for the employee only to $1,229.35/month for the whole family to be covered. (As found on their webpage.) The cost of living in Austin is fairly high for Texas.

What the students will be getting in public and private schools are people with absolutely no teaching background. And once these people see that teaching isn't just "summers off", they'll be leaving too. I predict teaching to be a high turnover job in the future.

So before you go to this site and post hateful crap about how much your teachers suck, think first. Would you want that job? I know I wouldn't.
Believe it or not, I understand all that. Most people don't however, and it's agrivating how 'inaccurate' the results are at that site. I could go on and on about one teacher I had last year, how bad she was. But here's just one example: She gave a student detention for talking in class one day, but he was absent. She looked so dumb that she yelled at the kid the next day and told him to transfer to a different class. He said he'd been trying to all year, so he got kicked out of the classroom. Obviously, she has her favorites, and this is what people had to say about her: http://www.ratemyteachers.com/ShowRa...jsp?tid=109803 . I like the one "People who hate her are just ignorant and lazy."

Other than that inevitable defect of idiot kids, it's a very usefull site. It could be good for some teachers to look at and improve, you know? Or just check on themselves.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #18
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I agree with Ruinel.

My mother was a teacher years ago and she worked long hours with tons of stress and little pay. She'd work hard to keep an orderly, well run classroom. Then there'd be just a couple of rude disrespectful kids who would disrupt the whole class. My mom would try to put discipline in on the kids and talk to the parents, who would give no support beacause their little angels "would never act like that" So it was difficult to handle and hard work.

Though when I was in school I think I loved all my teachers. I also loved learning and going to school. I don't think I every really gave my teachers a hard time, so in turn they were great with me.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:53 PM   #19
HOBBIT

So you think all teachers are great?

Students have absolutely no right to complain about them?

bs.

Some teachers are great, some teachers are ok, others are HORID.

Same with students a few students are disruptive (mostly only in lower level classes), some students are average, others are really good.

Students have a right to complain about their teachers. They should just deal with it - that too is part of their job.

Quote:
I also loved learning and going to school
Very very scary. I hate going to school very much and I think everyone in all of my classes (mostly all honors) does too. Did you love doing homework too? So much fun, no?

I like learning, but school sucks.

Maybe I'd like it more if all my teachers were good.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:00 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
So you think all teachers are great?
All teachers are not great, but I can tell you that most teachers are dedicated and are very obligated to their students. Teaching is a very noble calling, and they certianly do not go into the profession for the money.

Quote:
Students have absolutely no right to complain about them?

bs.

Some teachers are great, some teachers are ok, others are HORID.

Same with students a few students are disruptive (mostly only in lower level classes), some students are average, others are really good.
Students have as much right to complain about them as they have to complain about students. It isn't about a right to complain, but more about who's complaint is more legitimate.

Quote:
Students have a right to complain about their teachers. They should just deal with it - that too is part of their job.
It is not part of their job to put up with verbal abuse, disruptive classes that enable them to teach, or physical assaults, whch often occur. And remember, Students outnumber teachers far more.

Your school years are the most important years of your life. Make the most of them and do your best to be a good student academically as well as in behavior. who knows, you may grow up to be a teacher.

Travel and Tourism Guide