Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Natural Selection or Preordained?

School are often rife with fractions - the computor club - the chess club - the jocks - and their inevitable gf's - the cheerleeders - the goth girls - the punks and so on.

This kind of group creations Ive often wondered about.

Is it natural selection - that is do these people live their group lives according to the age-old edict of "Survival of the Fitest" - meaning that geeks are geeks and jocks are jocks and never the two shall mingle.

Or is it - in some way - preordained. A person that likes books, chess and computors - are they really supposed to be marked for life with the epithet Geeks?

And the same goes for those who are very sports-oriented - are they forever also branded Jocks? Not to mention the usual image of cheerleaders - superficial airhead - is this also a given?

Glad to know your views on the matter.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Mari
Elf Lady

We do not have those groups in high school. At least, they did not exist in mine.
We hardly had groups at all, except for the smokers who had their own little place on the schoolgrounds, but that's it. I guess it has nothing to do with preordainment then

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

GW, the reality you describe is very black-and-white. Are you sure things really are that stereotyped?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Well there must be some basis for all these teenage movies, dont you think?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Well it isn't a teen movie if it isn't ridiculously stereotyped
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
inked
Elf Lord

Sorry, but I though fractions were mathematical thingies. In that case I'd go with the geeks and the chess club types. Remember, you're most likely to end up working for a geek anyway (cf. Bill Gates)!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

As a species we tend to need to pigeon hole each other so we can know what we are up against. Invariably of course the pigeon holes arent perfect but it doesnt really matter for the sake of division is accomplished. And this probably dates back to the dawn of our evolution when it was imperative to our survival to have a kind of tribe identification way of thinking. And millions of years later we see it still in our high schools...

So yes I guess what Im saying is that I do think its very much a part of us to divide and group up in this way. Especially when young. But never doubt these stereotypes, although based on some reality, are NEVER perfect and sometimes far from it. I dare so most people are too complex to be stuffed into one simple mold. JOCK. PUNK. GOTH. METAL HEAD. PREP. Im sure even on this very board dedicated to open unabashed nerdish reverence of JRR Tolkien, we have some "nerds and geeks" who just happen to love playing sports or occasionally actually go out clubbing or partying rather than staying home reading or who secretly HATE Star Trek...

Yes! It is possible!

So struggle against your innate instinct to group identify. Its the only way we can really be true to ALL aspects of ourselves.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Thanks, IR. Very good post!