Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Ethanol from rice - the answer for China's fuelconsumtion?

I been thinking. Since we now drive a number of cars on ethanol made from cereals and potatoes, wouldn't it be possible for the Chinese to make ethanol from rice.

To my thinking, it would solve the environmental problem of their long term automotive fuel consumtion for good and perhaps even supply the people with ethanol-stoves so that health like hazards coal and oil would no longer have to be used.

What think Ye?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Great question for discussion! Absolutely one can make ethanol out of rice.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

The added advantage being that if your car breaks down you can neck the contents of the fuel tank and get mashed while you wait for a rescue.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I been thinking. Since we now drive a number of cars on ethanol made from cereals and potatoes, wouldn't it be possible for the Chinese to make ethanol from rice.

To my thinking, it would solve the environmental problem of their long term automotive fuel consumtion for good and perhaps even supply the people with ethanol-stoves so that health like hazards coal and oil would no longer have to be used.

What think Ye?
Ethanol is indeed a more environmentally friendly fuel than petrol. However it might not be the best fuel and should maybe not be the utlimate solution to rising oil prices. If the Chinese could develop cheap techniques for distillation of ethanol from rice, that would be great. However nothing guarantees that is going to happen. I think it is more likely that the Chinese, if they introduced ethanol cars, would go for the cheapest ethanol on the market, namely ethanol from the Brazilian rain forest. Imagine what would happen to the forest if a billion Chinese decided to exploit it!

But alas, there is no way China will introduce green cars as long as the US and Europe don't. China has like the biggest currency reserves in the world and they use the money to buy their way into the oil business. And as long as oil remains the cheapest alternative, I'm afraid ethanol cars will always remain in the shadow of the classic cars, in China, the US, Europe and the whole world.
(But when the fossile fuels run out, maybe China can earn a bob or two from their rice spirits )
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 09-02-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
You are most likely correct. Rice-ethanol is probably not an option for China, then. Unless some enterprising someone could persuade them to begin developing such an engine.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

In Arizona during the summer months the gasoline is part ethanol. There's a sign on every pump in the state that advises it. I never had any problem with it. We need to do something to reduce our dependence and IMO this is the way to go nationally.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I am not entirely sure how enthanol is made from rice or what quantities are necesary. But I'm fairly certain they'd need to plant more rice for the production of ethanol as the the rice they're currently farming goes into food. Above that, if I recall correctly, the farming of rice fields leads to methane emissions, a green house gass. So increasing the rice production may not be a good idea. But perhaps the idea can be used locally.

In Belgium soon all (car)petrol and diesel will have to contain 5% bio-oil. Too bad we just don't have the space to start up large scale productions of energy-crops.