Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2004, 01:42 AM   #1
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Happy 4th of July

Happy Independance day to all of you Americans on the moot.

Now, i know you may think it is wierd that jerseydevil has not started this thread, and that i, a Canadian have. The truth of the matter is that he has left the moot. His reasons are his own, but part of the reason was the constants ridicule of his beliefs and opinions and the reporting of his posts that stated them. Not once did he flame others for their opinions. He was just a fellow Tolkien lover like all of us as well as someone who was very voiced in his opinions. Those of you who ridiculed him and made fun of him for his opinions should be ashamed of yourselves.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:53 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Happy 4th of July!

I am sorry to hear that JD has left the 'moot.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
Beor
founder of the color blue

Happy 4th of July!! Hope everyone enjoys the fireworks, and more importantly, the freedom to do so!! Also, enjoy the beer and barbeques (which I cannot spell)!!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:48 AM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

happy 4th of july american mooters

i hate to see JD go but i geuss thats what will happen, he was probably one of the first people here on the board that i got along with, and it was all because of our dislikes of each others country i know many people weren't tolerant of his opinions but at least when he came back with an argument against there opinions he had researched it and ****. it will be different without him here though, I mean who will i insult about there country i just wish him good luck in his future and hopefully i meet him next year on my trip across canada
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 07-04-2004 at 02:49 AM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:25 AM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

happy fourth of july everyone... too bad im not asleep right now.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #6
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Happy 4th July for all you people - and I hope it's a blast! What will people be doing to mark it?

And as it is this special day - a few words about someone who is very patriotic. I had no idea JD had left the board, and I am VERY sorry to hear this news. I think this place, great though it is, will be the sadder without him. He has, I believe, great character, and I think could have been called one of the 'personalities' of this board. Even though I know he didn't always post in the most tactful way, he could and did make some VERY good points, and I, for one, learnt a lot from him. He has a clear ardour, dedication, and belief and was proud to state it here. Such a straightforward passion is unusual and therefore, in a world that sometimes seems rather grey and dull, refreshing.

I can honestly say that I shall miss him here. And, if you happen to be out there reading this, JD - I send you a virtual hug and handshake and wish you all the best in whatever you are choosing to do now.

For SGH - you asked once if there was a conspiracy to get JD banned. I'll answer here - as far as I was aware, there was NOT.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Happy Independence Day!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Happy Independance Day, America.

While I am sure we are all saddened to see JD leave the 'moot let us not be blind to his faults. gollum9630 I think you'll find that he was a frequent flamer and the reason many members who could not take his torrents of sarcasm and abuse were driven from the board.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Happy 4th July!!

JD left? Nah....he's took the huff before......I've no doubt he'll be back
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:31 AM   #10
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Re: Happy 4th of July

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
and the reporting of his posts that stated them. .
That raises a question.........is it standard practice to let a mooter know if their post has been reported? Or was this a special prevelidge only given to JD? I'm pretty sure that just one or two of my posts may have been reported in the past.......and I was never informed of it.....anyone else?
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 AM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Happy Independence Day!

And please, please, let's not turn this into a pro/con-JD thread.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Happy Independence Day!

And please, please, let's not turn this into a pro/con-JD thread.
Thank you Artanis, and others... and yes, let's can the discussion about JD in this thread.

Happy Independence Day to all fellow Americans! In our case, it'll be church today and fireworks tonight - and rather than squeezing in the cook-out in between, we're doing that tomorrow (Monday Holiday!). Also having a number of friends over for it, and various family members (my side) will be passing through briefly, between other destinations - or just for a quick visit. Most notably, my sister, who stayed with us for 5-6 weeks just over two years ago, will get to see our 20-month old for the first time - and will see our (mostly) completed house, after being here for some of the remodeling work!

btw - fireworks in your state (or country - for other holidays)... legal or not for just anyone to get and use? Illegal in Illinois, but many people cross borders (esp Indiana and Missouri) to pick them up and bring them back - and I think the police mostly look the other way. We don't bother though (esp with small children).

Another interesting thing about fireworks... a teacher at my son's school is going to Alaska to visit her sister. She said they don't do fireworks for the Fourth because you can't see them (you know, 'Land of the Midnight Sun')... so they shoot them off for New Years!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Happy Independence Day, America!

I think Elvengirl's just gone off to watch the fireworks now.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I've just come home from a short trip to a park nearby, and there was a gathering of Americans there, all dressed up, and with BBQ and flags and stuff. Nice. I guess they will have a firework going tonight.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Happy fourth, I hope we don't get rained out.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Happy fourth America!

JD, keep waving them flags where ever you are. I'll miss you. Entmoot won't be the same without you.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:48 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ConeyII

Or was this a special prevelidge only given to JD?
Of course it was. Don't you know that he always received favoritism?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #18
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Of course it was. Don't you know that he always received favoritism?
What is the rolleyes smiley in aid of? I only asked a question (surely folks would like to know if reporting a pm is confidential or not?).

Believe it or not SGH I'll miss JD's personality on the 'moot as well...I even asked Ben not to consider banning him when I had to report the abusive pm messages. JD was one of the most prolific posters........wether he garnered favouritism or not, is not non sequitor as he has left.

Valandil......sorry, didn't mean to drag this up again. But I only asked an honest question and thought, wrongly, that I would recieve an honest answer.

Last edited by Coney II : 07-04-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
What is the rolleyes smiley in aid of? I only asked a question (surely folks would like to know if reporting a pm is confidential or not?).

Believe it or not SGH I'll miss JD's personality on the 'moot as well...I even asked Ben not to consider banning him when I had to report the abusive pm messages. JD was one of the most prolific posters........wether he garnered favouritism or not, is not non sequitor as he has left.

Valandil......sorry, didn't mean to drag this up again. But I only asked an honest question and thought, wrongly, that I would recieve an honest answer.
To answer your question, reported posts are sometimes mentioned to the poster and sometimes not. Ben is the one that told JD that he had received the reports. When a post is reported, the report only goes to the moderators of that forum, in this case that is Khamul, Ben and Tristan, so if the poster is informed by the moderator then that is the choice of the moderator. Does that answer your question? You could have left the little remark of JD being privileged out of your post.

Valandil, although this is a thread about the holiday, the original thread starter seemed to want to discuss JD's departure, so the thread is on topic. He is gone and he will not be back. I consider it to be a great loss to this community, especially on a day like today.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #20
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
To answer your question, reported posts are sometimes mentioned to the poster and sometimes not. Ben is the one that told JD that he had received the reports. When a post is reported, the report only goes to the moderators of that forum, in this case that is Khamul, Ben and Tristan, so if the poster is informed by the moderator then that is the choice of the moderator. Does that answer your question? You could have left the little remark of JD being privileged out of your post.
Yes. That is all I wanted to know. Thank you.