Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

journal 2: Chapters 1-3

After making you wait for almost a month , I decided I owe it to you to write a bit more. Here are some thorough examinations of three chapters. Enjoy!

1/24/2005
Of the Beginning of Days
Ah, Chapter One. We’re finally getting to the good stuff. It should be easy reading from here.

That’s what I thought at first. I forgot to consider that I had already read it almost as many times as Valaquenta and that it would still read like a generally boring collection of unfashioned notes, not yet the thrilling narrative I’ve heard so mush about and am so looking forward to. It was short though, and really not so bad anyway.

Plus that’s only an insignificant rant to rectify my laziness. How late is this entry!

The names and jobs of the Valar are a minor problem for me in this chapter. I say “minor” to mask my anxiety about it, and in hope that I’ll catch on soon or something like that so I can stop flipping back to skim through Valaquenta. I thought about making a chart to use as a cheat sheet for my personal reference, but if I started that I would have rewritten the entire indexes by the time I was done with the book. I’m just bad with names.

Anyway, there were many things of varying depth that I thought about while reading. First of all, Aulë and Tulkas are amazing. Tulkas especially, since he is a warrior, and thus everything he does is glorious, and I love it when Tolkien takes a glorious tone. For instance, I think it’s remarkable that Melkor, despite his violent and evil nature, waits until Tulkas falls asleep to strike the good Valar. Granted, Melkor is knowledgeable and tactical, and there probably was no other way for him to successfully attack (I mean, it doesn’t make him seem any wimpier), but what does that say about Tulkas!? It says he’s awesome, protector of the Powers of the world (what a title), and I think he’ll remain awesome throughout the book.

Secondly, I’m kind of keeping an eye out for nice-sounding Elvish in this book, and I expect a lot of it. Oiolossë is a beautiful name.

I also noticed that during Yavanna’s singing which would sprout the Two Trees, everything else in the world is silent. I’m tired of speculating over the meaning to that detail, but it certainly left an impression. It pretty much confirmed for me that Tolkien will continue putting emphasis on singing throughout the book as well. (Manwë likes poetry, too.) I can’t wait to read about what happened to those trees.

I want to mention Tolkien’s diction here:
Quote:
In the confusion and the darkness Melkor escaped, though fear fell upon him; for above the roaring of the seas he heard the voice of Manwë as a mighty wind…
I’m not sure of the exact wording in other Tolkien events that I’m thinking of, but I like hearing him describe voices. (I’m reminded of Théoden calling the Rohirrim to arms in LotR.) The way I imagine this particular case may not even be the way he intended, but I like it. I think of a booming, inexplicably multi-tonal, horrifying roar—like a burning choir—being propelled across the earth, and making loud echoes in the wind it whips up that tears through the tunnels of Utumno. It seems like the sound or even the intensity is insignificant; it’s the consistency and the speed that makes Melkor whimper. What other writer could be so overwhelming in half an unedited sentence?

Now as I’m raving about the glory of this work, I’m reminded again of “The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm” and “The March of the Ents,” my favorite parts of LotR. Even though I’ve been promised so much in The Silmarillion, I’m still wondering if any one scene in it can rival these moments. That would rock, hey?

And as you must have noticed and I’ve felt rather guilty about, I took a ridiculously long time to write about this chapter. I read it initially some weeks ago, and then slept and forgot what comments I’d wanted to make. So yesterday I reread it, and in the end this was good because I didn’t feel obligated to waste time struggling to memorize each detail, as I did before. I observed the nifty editing job by Christopher this time, reading the chapter straight through. The way all the stories in this chapter compliment each other, and the way the end of the chapter relates back to Valaquenta (It gives another brief intro to each Vala.) actually makes me more excited for the rest of the book.

Already I wish this was a complete work. I cannot imagine how artistically Tolkien would have described the creation of the Two Trees. I can’t wait to finish, and consult Letters. Probably now since I’m into what’s nearly a story (the book, not the post ), I have more to say. Not so much happened for me to comment on in Ainulindalë and Valaquenta. I really can’t wait to read on.

1/25
Of Aulë and Yavanna
Who are the first two Valar to get their own chapter? Aulë and Yavanna. And of course—they are really most instrumental in the shaping of the world. Tulkas and Ulmo are cool, but less important, and I wonder if the high king Manwë will ever do anything cool again, besides scaring Melkor in the last chapter with Tulkas and Ulmo.

So in this chapter, they talk about Ents. I think I recall my first time reading this chapter, and I didn’t expect them to come yet. I was psyched! When I read about Yavanna first asking Manwë for them, for some reason I felt this made suspense; even though it was clear they were talking about the Shepherds of the Trees, I had to wait and hear those words from Manwë.

And when she talked about them in the Song I was not only surprised by its vivid details (I forgot the vision it gave to Ilúvatar), but how cool it was.
Quote:
…I lifted up the branches of great trees to receive [the rains], and some sang to Ilúvatar amid the wind and the rain.
Just such a dramatic image, I can’t say anything else about it. It can be read into any way the reader wants, it works so surely to illustrate splendour. (I want to see it in a video game movie.)

In the next paragraph, too, Manwë seems to become enveloped by the Song, and he senses notes he never heard before. This is a fantastic image and I’m awestruck by the mysterious power of the Valar.

But also out of this chapter came the first moment that I laughed at. The chapter closes with Yavanna returning to Aulë and warning him “…beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath [your creations] will arouse in peril.” Indeed, but he only answers, “nonetheless they will have need of wood” and he keeps working. Isn’t that the most typical sitcom husband response!

Similarly to the way he seems to dismiss her, it is also apparent how they compliment each other in their marriage. I felt that this chapter presented them as opposing forces, almost casual enemies, but of course Yavanna’s creations could not exist without Aulë’s, and likewise Aulë’s limits are dictated by her.

Lastly in the very non-sequential order of this entry () is the birth of the Dwarves. I suppose I should comment on them since I think it’s the main reason this chapter was included. Yeah, Aulë’s cool here, but I knew how this was going to happen already. I gathered that much when I didn’t care about spoilers. It was interesting to read of the rather modest beginning of the Dwarves, but more significant seemed the Godliness of Eru here. Omniscient + Compassion = Magnificent

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-31-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

(continued)

1/27
Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Until now I had been nervous that I was becoming too analytical in my journal here. But I dismissed that anxiety since analytical is my nature, whether or not it seems strange for someone who’s supposed to represent a newbie struggling at the surface of this book.

Besides, not much thrilled me in what I read today. I made a bunch of observations that might be interesting, but to state all of them would just be paraphrasing the chapter.

One thing I found noteworthy was that Melkor’s chain had a name. Most other readers don’t seem to care about this bit (since almost every weapon, prop, or tool, throughout history of Middle Earth apparently has a name) but I always like it when Tolkien does this. It elevates the chain’s importance to legendary proportions, and it’s just a chain! So it also emphasizes the untamable evil of Melkor and the wonder of all the Valar.

More than anything, I was confused by this chapter. I’m barely comfortable enough with it, since I probably got most of the information that is necessary for now. No one should be expected to memorize the path of the Elves across the world to Valinor after one reading, nor the number of constellations drawn by Varda. In fact the thought of having to scares me; in previous attempts at The Silmarillion I would always stop here because it is so unbearably historical. This is where I spent most of my energy looking in LotR Appendixes and maps, the Sil’s Appendix, the dictionary (sunder- the only word I have to look up every time I read it ), the index of names, note on pronunciation and so forth. I was prepared this time with the pile of necessary books next to me, but I don’t feel like wasting my time again.

Other things I don’t fully understand: How exactly did the Elves “awake?” I picture lifeless adult bodies lying face up, arranged in perfect symmetrical rows. That can’t be it. Were some of them already siblings when first awoken? If so, were their bodies arranged in the pattern of their family tree, and is that how they knew their relation? If not, then how much time went by before they were discovered by Oromë, and did they start reproducing in that time? Just how different were the first Elves, to have evolved into such wholly separate and independent tribes? What was done to protect them from the Battle of the Powers? This was very unclear. Oromë went to them and then nothing else was mentioned. He may have stayed there with them or brought them into isolation or made some magical dome around them for all I know.

But if nothing else, two things are for sure: Tulkas rocks (“as champion of the Valar”), and Balrogs

It’s disappointing that this chapter is doomed to read like a textbook. So much is here that could have been covered in such depth. The coming of the Elves could have been written about in fascinating detail, probably a book in itself. And there would be so much to love in a big long story of a baby race wandering in the war-torn wilderness, captivated by everything they see, slowly drifting apart over when and where to progress, with paradise waiting for them that only a select few know about. When I write that I sound corny, but it could have been one of Tolkien’s best books…

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-31-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You did it! You posted! Great!

Quote:
It’s disappointing that this chapter is doomed to read like a textbook. So much is here that could have been covered in such depth. [...] When I write that I sound corny, but it could have been one of Tolkien’s best books…
Hear! Hear! To imagine what splendour a finished Silmarillion in full length and detail could be! Ah, to know that we miss such a thing, tells us for sure we live in an imperfect world.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Wonderful! I thought you had given up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Who are the first two Valar to get their own chapter? Aulë and Yavanna. And of course—they are really most instrumental in the shaping of the world. Tulkas and Ulmo are cool, but less important, and I wonder if the high king Manwë will ever do anything cool again, besides scaring Melkor in the last chapter with Tulkas and Ulmo.
Ulmo is less important. Hm. I wonder... He is, after all second in might to Manwë... and the earth is also mostly water... I would say that his importance is as great, but much more subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Other things I don’t fully understand: How exactly did the Elves “awake?” I picture lifeless adult bodies lying face up, arranged in perfect symmetrical rows.
Oh, how I'd love to answer your questions! That particular one is in The War of the Jewels. But I know you're not reading these responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hear! Hear! To imagine what splendour a finished Silmarillion in full length and detail could be! Ah, to know that we miss such a thing, tells us for sure we live in an imperfect world.
Hear, hear.

Maybe we should get Bombadillo to read some of the stories in the HoME and UT...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

well, that was worth the wait , on a seperate note, i am re-reading at the same time, so that i can try and see the same things, if you know what i mean!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I've been rereading as well, and trying to remember what I'm reading so I don't always have to search for the info I want when I have questions.
It's pretty intense, but also more fun this way. One thing I've found that helps me remember the way events and people are all related is to draw it out as I read....So now I have a bunch of scribbles in my school notebook.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

one thing i have find is that it helps me in trivia, word game and quote game threads
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Ulmo is less important. Hm. I wonder... He is, after all second in might to Manwë... and the earth is also mostly water... I would say that his importance is as great, but much more subtle.
I agree. I think his presence is felt in the Nimrodel (for some reason ), the Sea is very important to elves, and the Nazgul fear crossing water (which saved Frodo twice - at Buckleberry and the fords of Bruinen).

Nice work Bombadillo.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I agree. I think his presence is felt in the Nimrodel (for some reason ), the Sea is very important to elves, and the Nazgul fear crossing water (which saved Frodo twice - at Buckleberry and the fords of Bruinen).
It's definitely in the Sirion...

And then you've got Ulmo's warning delivered through Tuor...

If I remember right, Melkor's evil ran through the earth, but not the water.

Yeah, Ulmo!

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
If I remember right, Melkor's evil ran through the earth, but not the water.

Yeah, Ulmo!
That is correct. It says in the Silmarillion that Finrod had raised the tower of Barad Nimras to watch the western sea, but needlessly as it proved. For at no time did Morgoth ever attack from the sea. Water all his servants shunned and none would go near it willingly.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote