Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

The lonely elf

Linduile her name was. Pretty, some said. Plain, others dissented. All agreed she was clever, and all agreed she had sharp and lovely eyes. Clever and witty? Again, all agreed, and even those who didn't like her, eventually muttered, 'Well, one could call her clever... I suppose...'

Who was she? An elf, that was plain. But from where? None could tell. No one really knew why she had travelled who knew how far, only to live so quietly by herself near the river. Heads shook, tongues wagged. Something had happened in her past, that was for sure, something that had caused her to flee her home. Well, they were simple, hardy folk and though they had healthy curiosities, as long as her troubles did not affect them, they were perfectly content to let her live and be their neighbour. She did not disturb them, and the only business she did was weaving and dress-making. She excelled at both crafts, and she earned enough for all her comforts. No one knew what these comforts were, exactly, as no one had ever really been in her home by the river... but then, as she never had been in any of their homes, they could not very well expect her to throw her doors open for them.

It was lucky for Linduile that the townsfolk thought her aloofness due to her past troubles, for if once they had decided she was only lonely due to pride, her life would have been miserable. But they treated her with respect, and friendliness, and this was perhaps due to the hope they each had of finding out her secret.

No one came even close, for Linduile knew how to evade all their surmises, guesses, indirect and direct questions with considerable skill and experience. It was a chance accident that revealed it...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Ved was the eleven year old who first saw the 'monster'. He and some boys had been swimming in the cool, fresh waters of the river. There was a race, and Ved, older and larger than the others had soon outstripped them, and turning around, paddling the water with his feet, he taunted his friends. Of a sudden, a glint in the dark shades of the trees on the right bank caught his eye. He turned his head, and caught a face staring intently into his, eyes wide... face hideous. He screamed, and the face was gone, but while screaming, he had swallowed so much water that he had to be assissted back to the shore. That day, all of them assidiously spread the story of the monster they had encountered and scared away. No one, of course, thought of connecting Linduile with it all.

The strange face was seen again, every now and then. Just when he had disappeared for some time, someone would catch a glimpse of it. The descriptions, though varied, had this in common... the creature was small, and its body was dark and graceful. But it was the face, which once glimpsed horrified the viewer, and the horror was increased by the contrast with the lithe smooth body. And everyone reported that the expression on the face was, if you could look past the ugliness, curious, painfully so, perhaps.The children went raving about the 'monster' but the adults were uncertain whether to fear it or pity it; especially because it never approached them, but ran away in fear whenever discovered.

So far, no one suspected Linduile of any involvement, though some did think it strange, that despite the fact that she lived in the very area where these sightings took place, she never seemed to have seen or heard the apparition even once.

Last edited by Serenoli : 03-04-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Very interesting, Serenoli! Keep writing, you are very gifted.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

This sounds like the beginning of a very compelling book, or short story; you really are quite a gifted writer. I want to read more! You've already got me drawn into the story. That monster is so interesting.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
This sounds like the beginning of a very compelling book, or short story; you really are quite a gifted writer. I want to read more! You've already got me drawn into the story. That monster is so interesting.
I second all that. You know what i think the "monster" is? I think its really Linduile! She has one of those Princess Fiona from Shrek things going on. Where she transforms into a "monster" on certain occasions but still has a good heart. Some evil witch from her old town was jealous of her, put a curse on her, and everyone ran her out of town? Then again I'm the kind of person who always looks at the butler first.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Serenoli

*blushes*

Why, thanks. I haven't decided all of it yet, still have much of the plot to work out. Its funny, I was just browsing here, when her name sort of popped into my head, and of course I had to write something to go with it. Hopefully, the rest will be just as good as the start!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Serenoli, this is a good beginning to a story and kept my interest.
Udukhaturz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Serenoli

Every town has a gossip, or should, just to liven things up. And that is just what Belladonna Thirin was. She was full of an insatiable and infinite curiosity. Her own life was dull, and she filled up the gap with all the tidbits she could gather from the lives of her neighbours… and her curiosity was for everyone, no matter how small and unimportant they seemed.

Of course, the mysterious elf, and the even more mysterious monster were irresistible to her. Day and night, she pondered over them, determined to solve the mysteries. And, in her ponderings, she was the first one to suspect the elf knew more about the ‘monster’ than anyone else. After all, the monster had never been seen before Linduile turned up, and then how come it was always near her home that the sightings took place? She knew there was a large chance Linduile was absolutely blameless in the matter… but she intended to make sure. At any rate, she decided to send for the elf.

The pretext was a large-skirted blue dress that had been commissioned a few weeks ago. It had been beautifully sewn, and fitted her perfectly, but she pretended there were problems with it. As soon as the elf entered her house, she began a long tirade on exactly what was wrong with it. Eventually, she let Linduile take new measurements.

As she twirled around for Linduile to measure her waist, she began talking of the ‘monster’.

“Have you heard? There has been another sighting of the ‘monster’ today.”

Pins in mouth, Linduile could not reply. Bella bent down, and kindly took out the pins, and then repeated her question.

“No, I have not heard of any ‘monster’.”

“My dear! You have never heard! And, yet it is always near your home that it is seen! Oh, you must let me tell you all about it! It is dark as the night, and has the most horrifying face ever! I haven’t seen it myself, but there must have been at least half-a-dozen people who saw him, near the river-bank. Tyrance says it is but a frightened boy, but I am not fooled. He is only trying to keep me from getting afraid, and if I see the hideous thing, I shall scream and run!”

There was silence, then, and Linduile was strangely still for a moment, and then, with an effort, she asked, in a voice that showed her agitation, “Near my home, you say? A…” she could hardly force out the next words, “A hideous monster? Well… I have not seen anything, and I think it is just a foolish story. You should not believe such tales! Depend upon it, there will be no more sightings.”

Belladonna was shocked at the reaction she had provoked. The elf seemed almost angry! Her hands were trembling, and her breathing was noticeably laboured. Her cheeks had paled at first, but were now suffused with blood, and Bella noticed it all, and it only served to augment her curiosity. She asked, “How can you be so sure?”

Linduile did not answer, however, and soon, promising the dress within the week, she left with hurried steps. Belladonna was left to ponder anew what she had learnt… and to resolve silently, that come what may, she would get to the bottom of the secret that resided in Linduile’s heart.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Loved it! You like to leave us in suspense don't you Serenoli?

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-14-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo-I do it a lot
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Yay! A third part! Love it, Serenoli
Old 03-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
Serenoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
You like to leave us in suspense don't you Serenoli?
Of course! Where's the fun for me, if I don't? Don't worry, you'll find out soon... just as soon as I can get the time, energy, patience, inclination and inspiration to sit down and compose the fourth part...

Just noticed a funny thing... all three were written at around the same time, 9 p.m. in my time. Hmmm... maybe my brain works well at that time?

Last edited by Serenoli : 03-15-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Oo... most mysterious! This is very good so far, I especially liked the interaction with the town gossip. I think you could definitely expand and continue this.

*wants to know more*
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

great story, Serenoli! I esp. like "Every town has a gossip, or should" - very clever!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote