Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

nature...

Today, for the first time I can remember in a long time, there is currently not a cloud in the sky! It's very pretty, the whole sky a light blue. I ended up just lying on the rock in my backyard for a while looking at the sky. After that, I sat in a tree for a while.

What I realized is that the best way I can appreciate nature is to just be outside. Now that most of the snow's gone, and it's a little warmer, I find myself eating meals outside quite often.

I guess my question is, how do you enjoy nature? Do you hike, or canoe, or hunt? To me, when I am doing something like that, I only think about what I am doing, basically forgetting where I am. I'm thinking about how to row the boat, or how I should pace myself if I'm running.

What are everyone's thought on interacting with nature as opposed to just observing? Is your relationship with the natural world focused on you, or outside of yourself?
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i love nature- everything about it (well, except for bugs )
when i'm outside by myself, this amazing sort of peace descends upon me, and all my worries and troubles fade away, til i almost feel...like a tree or something (yes, i know i should be institutionalized, they've been trying to get me for years...)
gardening is so relaxing; and it feels so great to plant something as a tiny seed and watch it grow into a beautiful flower or plant. i guess sometimes i take that for granted since my parents own a nursery, but when i'm working in my own garden, it all comes back into focus.
and i write my best poetry and prose when i'm outside on a cool spring night, alone, sitting in back of my grampy's house, or on top of the hill at my grandma's and grandpa's. it just so quiet and perfect; sunset during the summer is the best time to be outside.

katya, even posting in this thread makes me feel more peaceful

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I hate spiders, I hate ants, I hate bugs, and I HATE ROACHES!!!!!

But yea, nature's... nice .

No, I'm just kidding. Although from all my reading and writing I have such a romantic idea of what 'nature' should look like I'm so often disapointed for the first few seconds .

Now what I LOVE is sitting inside and watching the rain through an open window.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

Lady Ravyn, I'm glad you feel that way. Ditto about the bugs, too...

I never really got into gardening, but I can understand where you're coming from. Sweet.

Actually....the thing is...your PM box is full. Please clean it out so I can write you!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

yeah, but that SO does not beat walking around in your barefeet during a thunderstorm! that's the BEST! with the lightning flashing above you, and the thunder rolling in your ears... and everything looks so green! it's like the rain wakes everything up!

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
I hate spiders, I hate ants, I hate bugs, and I HATE ROACHES!!!!!

But yea, nature's... nice .

No, I'm just kidding. Although from all my reading and writing I have such a romantic idea of what 'nature' should look like I'm so often disapointed for the first few seconds .
you know, I agree ,but at the same time I don't. Actually, I have never been dissapointed in nature itself, except when it is polluted or whatever by people. The thing is though, sometimes I'm dissappointed just because it's too friggin cold, or there are mosquitoes...
Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yea, I also love the part where you get struck by lightning because you're walking around during a storm.

It's really great if the person who gets struck is a girl because their hair does this amazing poof thing. Words simply can't describe it.

Okay maybe:

A hampster on steroids.

Yea, specially when they're standing still in shock and it's still moving around...

Ehe, sorry. I can't walk around barefoot though . We have scorpions and big, huge, mean spiders that will bite the CRAP out of you ('scuse the language ) if you give them half a chance.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I really would rather watch the thunderstorm from inside. Between the bugs, and getting struck by lightning...better to just remember memories of lightning when I was little, and...eat cake. I like cake...That's jsut what I'm talking about though, whether or not you're outside when you're enjoying the storm.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #9
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

sorry katya! we posted over each other! lol (and i'll clean it out right now )

oooh! scorpions! ow! yeah, that'd make me keep on my shoes too. but here in good ol' nj we don't have to worry about that (thank god). all i have to worry about is stepping on bees (which i have done- not fun) and these caterpillars that have poisonous barbs on their backs (which my cousin has done and his foot swelled up to the size of a watermelon!)

and t-storms aren't scary! my mom flips out when i go out in them though

My Space!

Old 04-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
katya
Elven Maiden

Ok. Thank you- I think it's been full for a while now, unless it keeps getting re-filled. Anyway, we don't have scorpions either. (good thing, otherwise Goku might have to go beserk on Kougaiji..woah, sorry about that! nevermind!) You're right that thundestorms aren't scary, but just be careful, ok?
Do you see what I mean about inside or outside yourself? I can't belive it took me so long to realize it...
Old 04-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #11
Ithilgalad
Elven Warrior

Hm thunderstorms ARE quite interesting... but what I REALLY like is this heavy rain you get in summer... a warm and pleasant day... the sun shines brightly... and suddenly, within seconds, you´re SOAKED !... and a few minutes later, everything´s back to *normal* with sunshine and a nice, gentle breeze...

And though you´re wet (down to your panties ), you ain´t cold because the air is warm and the sun´s up again almost immediately...
Ithilgalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

For some reason, as I age, natural things sometimes lose their mystery. In my hurry and worry to make sure everything gets done right for everybody, I don't have a lot of time for nature appreciation! In many ways, we (my husband and myself) spend a lot of time battling nature (Mowing, weeding, brush cutting, soil amending, wood splitting, tree control, bug battles, drainage hassles...) so often the beauty goes unnoticed.

I find I enjoy nature most when alone. ( But even then, the outside cats are bumping, nudging, and meowing me! ) I like to sit out on our deck at night and look at the stars in the dark country sky. I like to walk alone and notice the little things, plants, birds, the way the creek flows, rocks. I like to feel the wind on my face (it blows quite strong out in the open!) and I like to sit in my gardens and listen to the sounds.

Last edited by Lizra : 04-04-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i have many ways of interacting with nature

i sit on the floor under my verandah and watch/listen to/smell the rain, that is really beautiful, rain
i sit on my lawn and paint/sketch the fields the horses and the distant cottages in my village
i walk over the Quantock hills, it is a beautiful area, and climbing up those slopes, you imagine yourself in middle earth
i go horseriding over the hills
i lay in my garden in the afternoons and just watch the sky
i sit outside at night, and watch the stars

this is but a taste of the many things i do
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #14
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I like the rain. Welcome, Ithilgalad.

How about the stars? It's nice to look at the stars. One time I slept outside and watched a meteor shower. I was reading the Hobbit at the time. Maybe that's why I slept outside?

EDIT: nice thoughts, Lizra and...do you have a nickname? Yeah...

Last edited by katya : 04-04-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #15
Elvenlady
Hobbit

I love sleeping out under the stars and then waking up with the sun and the birds, it's so peaceful.

Yes, I love nature: mountains, rivers, meadows, nature is so beautiful. I'm always outdoors and yes barefoot too, it just makes it more enjoyable.

I love to run in the rain, oh and horseback riding in the rain is so nice too, especially on a killer hot day.

No, really the account for Elvengirl has not been working so I created this other identity, it may or may not be permanent..... just to let you know.....

Last edited by Elvenlady : 04-05-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Elvenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #16
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

A nickname? not really...Lizra's pretty short!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #17
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I love looking at the night sky and having the full moon spill through my bedroom window and onto my bed.

The most calming thing I can think of is to have my cat curl up next to me and fall asleep, purring. The most beautiful sound is a cat's purr, hands down.

Another way I love interacting with nature is to go to one of the parks on my Great Lake and wade in the surf, particularly on a windy day when the waves are rather wild. I love the push and pull of the water around my ankles.

And looking out over the lake is such a peaceful, relaxing feeling. The water can be silver, blue, turquoise or reflecting the colors of the sunset or the silver face of the moon can be sending sparks across it and it is so very beautiful.

It makes you feel small, but so thankful that you are there and able to see and appreciate it.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #18
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I love nature - well everything except spiders *shudders* - every year when the weather gets warmer I just sit in a nearby forest/wood, for hours at a time, just listening. I love it. Occasionally I'll take a book to read, but I almost never start reading it, I just sit there....

I also love it when it gets warmer and starts to rain. I love walking in pouring rain when it's warm. I also love to watch thunderstorms sitting on my bedroom window. I used to watch them while sitting in the greenhouse when I was younger but now theres the problem of that family of very large spi.... *shudders*

And snow - I also love snow. It's so nice. This winter I was walking with this really nice guy I like, and it just started snowing. We just stopped, looked up and laughed. It was really nice.

One of the paths that leads in and out of my school is also beautiful in the summer - it actually makes me forget I'm at school when I'm walking there. It's lined with trees and theres this little stream that runs alongside it, leading into this area of overgrown plants and a huge fallen tree. It takes my breath away everytime I see it. I'll be sad when it's gone.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 04-05-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #19
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

I love the smell of Pine - forest woods

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #20
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I love the sea - going out on the cliffs in the early morning when the air is hazy and smells of salt. I love being woken up by seagulls too. And walking in the rain, of course, when it goes right through to your skin, and the way the sky looks when it's about to rain (which it does right now) when it's almost black. And the blossom on trees in spring, and watching night fall over the trees until there is nothing but you in the world, and lying in the grass in the heat of the summer... So yes, I like nature
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote