Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2001, 08:27 PM   #1
Niffiwan

the Spy-plane incident

If you haven't picked up a newspaper or turned on your tv or radio in the past few days, then you may want to check out this article: www1.sympatico.ca/news/Fu...40321.html

You may want to check it out even if you have because it summarizes the situation very clearly.

My thoughts on this: This topic might also be named "American incompetence and ignorance" because that's what I believe is really showing right now; the incompetence of the army (perhaps not in general) for what happened (not to mention that little submarine crash some time ago), and the complete ignorance of the public to the fact that it's sometimes not wrong for other countries to not do completely what America wants. That, and the way much of the public is brainwashed into thinking that America is always right and that anyone who doesn't do what America wants them to do is bad or breaking some kind of law.

It was just very funny to watch CNN and see the American public's reaction, with general messages like "how can they do this?" and "Where are our allies who should be backing us?" (approximate; I don't remember the exact quotes) when it is almost obvious that America is guilty here and now they're simply paying China's price.

Also, here's a nice quote from the article:
Quote:
China says the American pilot caused the crash by suddenly veering into the Chinese jet, one of two sent up to follow the plane into Chinese airspace. U.S. military authorities say it was more likely that the faster, lighter Chinese plane brushed against the lumbering propeller-driven EP-3, which is about the size of a 150-seater commercial jetliner.
Anyone see contradicting statements here? I think this is just another one of America's efforts to calm the public's ease that perhaps the military did something wrong, and point the finger at China instead.
No, don't cry out, American military authorities had lied to the public many times before (like in Vietnam, for instance). This time at least they aren't lying, they're simply saying "it's more likely".

Well, that's my opinion, and I know I'll get argued to [insert bad word here] about this.
Old 04-03-2001, 08:32 PM   #2
Niffiwan

P.S. Sorry for the bad grammar, I'm kind of in a rush...
Old 04-03-2001, 11:23 PM   #3
gdl96

Re: ...

C'mon. What would be more likely? A big heavy, not very manuverable plane or a fast, sleek, jet fighter. I think it was obviously China's fault it went down.

America has a right to be worried and demand the plane right. Sure they might have done some wrong, but China has done some more. The EP-3 was full of confidential and secret equipment. The Chinese boarding the plane (which is illegal by international law) would allow them to set US military intelligence back a lot.

The crew of the plane was visited today, and thankfully they're all in good health. Apparently, some of the information on the plane was deleted and whatnot. Although it is not definate how much, it is a bit of relief.

You mentioned the sub crash before. Maybe this is against my case, but you forgot to mention the bombing of the Chinese embassy in the Balkans a couple years ago. I'll agree that the incident was pure ignorance. An outdated map? Gee golly.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:40 AM   #4
Johnny Lurker

The U.S. can fly anywhere it wants.

I mean, really... who's going to stop you guys? And when does morality enter into it?

But personally, I think they should mount some of their ELINT gear on a bird that's slightly more... effective. They retired the SR-71s, one of the fastest jets ever (I believe it tied with the MiG-31 Foxbat - might have edged it a bit) to use pocket jumbo jets?

Excuse me while I go and puke.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:05 AM   #5
Niffiwan

Here's a continuation of that article:
www1.sympatico.ca/news/Fu...40394.html

Nobody will know anything for sure until it's over; China's pointing the finger at the US, US is pointing the finger at China.
Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a combination of errors from both sides.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:29 PM   #6
gdl96

Re: ...

It is a combination of errors. We did some things wrong, and they did some things wrong.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:48 PM   #7
Johnny Lurker

Yeah.

The States messed up in letting those fighters get anywhere near that recon plane without challenging them. The Chinese messed up by giving the pilots, etc. a chance to destroy the sensitive equipment after (edit: was previously "before") the bird landed, and letting the States know that they were picking the plane apart.