Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The Watch Stone od the Druedain?

I've just read this part of UT and it really confused me. I was fine when it referred to it as a Watch Stone but then it said it had legs? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. What is it?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I've just read this part of UT and it really confused me. I was fine when it referred to it as a Watch Stone but then it said it had legs? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. What is it?
It's been a while since I read UT but I had the impression the Watch Stone was a sort of statue of a Druedan.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
It's been a while since I read UT but I had the impression the Watch Stone was a sort of statue of a Druedan.
The story is intended to explain the origin of the statues Merry passed on his way to Dunharrow (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli also saw them). The Druedain made statues in their own shapes, and apparently on special occasions they could become animate so as to complete a special purpose.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Maerbenn
Enting

Strider

Perhaps there is a possibility that the statues at Dunharrow could (still) become animate. But what I think is more interesting is the other ‘magical’ ability the Drúedain possessed:

Quote:
But among the powers of this strange people perhaps most to be remarked was their capacity of utter silence and stillness, which they could at times endure for many days on end, sitting with their legs crossed, their hands upon their knees or in their laps, and their eyes closed or looking at the ground.
It is said that the Drúedain would often sit thus in times of grief or loss, but sometimes for pleasure in thought, or in the making of plans. But they could also use this stillness when on guard; and then they would sit or stand, hidden in shadow, and though their eyes might seem closed or staring with a blank gaze nothing passed or came near that was not marked and remembered. So intense was their unseen vigilance that it could be felt as a hostile menace by intruders, who retreated in fear before any warning was given; but if any evil thing passed on, then they would utter as a signal a shrill whistle, painful to endure close at hand and heard far off.
So perhaps (some of) the statues were not statues at all?

Maybe you could even say that the difference between the abilities is hazy.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I don't think the statues at Dunharrow had any power left in them. They were relics of the Second Age, or perhaps earlier.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerbenn
Perhaps there is a possibility that the statues at Dunharrow could (still) become animate.
Maybe the ability of a Drug to animate such a statue coincided with his life-force. That is, after the maker died, maybe the statue simply became a statue, incapable of becoming animate again.

It also occurs to me that perhaps the Numenorean Watchers of Cirith Ungol might have been styled upon or inspired by Druedain Watch-stones in some way. (Or, perhaps, Tolkien extended the Watchers concept back to the Druedain as he developed their story further.)