Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2002, 11:00 PM   #1
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Calling all dancers!

Okay, I've noticed a few other people on the Entmoot that either are or were dancers. I am one myself, and I was wondering who all else is. I'm in my 8th year of classical ballet training in the Vaganova style. I take class 3 times a week at the Boston Ballet School, 2 two hour classes, a 1 1/2 hour class, a 1 hour Flamenco class, and a 1 hour Pilates class. How many classes a week do you guys take? Or how long ago did you dance, and what was your main focus?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 09-28-2002 at 11:02 PM.
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 01:07 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OMGoodness, TC! 8 years - WOW! I would love to watch you. How are your fouettes?

I only took for a couple of years, starting in my early 20's, so I didn't have a chance to go anywhere, but I really enjoyed it and gained a MUCH greater appreciation of ballet. (after all, they're supposed to make it look easy! But when you've tried something yourself, you have an idea of how hard it really is!) I did find a teacher that was willing to put me on pointe, which I really enjoyed. (teachers usually won't put "older" people on pointe). I couldn't even do a single pirouette on pointe, though. I still have a couple of pointe shoes that I occasionally pull out and sigh over. What ballets do you like? What are your favorite things to dance? Adagio or allegro (is that what you call it?) Do you use lambswool for your tootsies?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 03:57 AM   #3
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I took ballet lessons at the YMCA when I was six...does that count?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 04:40 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I take ballroom lessons with the University Dance Club, 1.5h/wk, very basic (I entered at the most beginnerish of beginner levels). Of course, that only started two weeks ago. I went to my first social tonight, though, and made it through fairly well... of course, eventually I'll want to become at least somewhat amazing at it.

You'd think that as a musician I'd have a better sense of time and coordination, but there's really little correlation there.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:05 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I went to a college in Indianapolis called Butler University, that had a very good school of dance (at that time!). Though my major was environmental science, I made sure to fulfill all PE requirements with Ballet clases, and also took jazz for fun. I love ballet and Jazz, but my muscles or tendons or ligaments or WHATEVER!!!, are somewhat tight, therefore, turning out was painful! I took my love of dance to the clubs, and danced my twenties away, usually with other women! (or the occasional gay guy ) I still love to dance and am considering signing up for adults classes at the local dance school (the kids are in school, good idea!)

Last edited by Lizra : 09-29-2002 at 06:07 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:17 AM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

im quite a nice little mover apprentally
Old 09-29-2002, 02:40 PM   #7
TinuvielChild
Padawan

My fouettes are awful, although I can occasionally land a double pirouette (on pointe; they're fairly reliable in soft shoes). I can't do even 3 fouettes in soft shoes, so I daren't try them on pointe. I don't use lambswool toe pads, I use the most wonderful invention by Bunheads called "Ouch Pouches"; gel-filled soft toe pads. I've only gotten one blister in my entire life. I'm best at petit allegro (small jumps), and I have awful extension, so my adagio is pretty bad, but my turns are okay.

Nutcracker auditions are next Saturday! Wish me luck, everyone...at Boston Ballet, the company dancers get the roles like Sugarplum, and the students get the kid's roles like Clara/Marie, reindeer (to pull the sleigh in the Snow scene), party children, Bon-bons, angels, etc. Don't get me up on my soapbox about the intensive/main divisions. I can go on for 10 minutes. Really. I mean it.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 09-29-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #8
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh, and my turnout is not the greatest either, which is why I'm no longer in the "intensive division" at Boston Ballet. BB has 2 divisions, intensive and main. The way I see it is, Intensive is for the people that the directors think have a chance of being dancers professionally, and Main is for those that they think suck horribly, but they'll take their money, no problem. I was in Intensive for one year, then I got kicked out because of my turnout. I was frickin' 8 years old, for crying out loud! There are 7 levels at BB: 1m-7m (m=main), plus 1i-7i. (i=intensive). Right now I'm in level 6m, having gone 1, 1i, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Most people repeat at least one level, apparently. Sorry; that was the beginning of my rant about the intensive division. I may post the rest of it at some later time, if you want to hear it.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

GOOD LUCK!!!

i took jazz dance lessons for a year, i was horrible i wasn't made to dance!
Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
Nutcracker auditions are next Saturday! Wish me luck, everyone...at Boston Ballet,
Good luck with that! I can't dance. Or at least, have never had lessons, in primary school i did the charlston...don't ask. Complicated story.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:11 PM   #11
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I took dance classes for at least four years. I took jazz and baton, but I actually had one or two tap lessons. My jazz class actually took home a first place trophy one year in a dance competition. That was exciting! We were also on some local broadcast show performing one of our routines. But then my teacher had to close down because of her father's health and I didn't want to enter into the school that got the space she used because they were really demanding and strict. Well, it was fun while it lasted!
Goldberry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:01 PM   #12
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Goldberry - that does sound like fun! I love jazz and modern, they're so much fun!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 03:29 PM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I started taking dance classes when I was 20, and I got hooked! I was a student then, with a lot of spare time so I took 4 classes a week, 2 x classical ballet and 2 x jazz. But after some years I came to a point where it cost me too much to improve my classical techniques further, besides my age wasn't on my side, so I turned to contemporary dance, which I think is less demanding of the body. During the later years I've also explored african dance, belly-dance, and flamenco. The latter was a tremendous experience, suited my temper good Belly-dance is also good, hip-rolling fun

Unfortunately I don't take classes anymore. I'd love to, but after the kids there isn't time for regular training at fixed hours.

TC, good luck with audition! Your training sounds truly demanding. I can't believe you never get blisters on pointe. I did pointe just a few times and my feet nearly killed me! I guess I wasn't dedicated enough to ignore it.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:20 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I also did "folk dancing" in college with a club. I really enjoyed the Bulgarian dances, they were really fast and the music was wild!

Good luck w/ audition, TC Let us know how it goes.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:15 AM   #15
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Hungarian dances are also lots of fun, as are Polish dances; the czardas is particularly fun (my class performed one two years ago at the end of the year, to Brahms's Hungarian Dance No. 5..? or No. 1, I can't remember). The audition is Saturday, callbacks are Sunday, and I won't find out about casting until around the 16th! grr..

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I took ballet and tap from the age of three to ten. Then when I turned 14, I took jazz, and continued until I was 20. I also took ballet and jazz in college for P.E. I really enjoy dancing, but I never could have done it professionally. I have the strength but not the flexibility. It is a great way to get in some exercise without it seeming like exercise. I'd love to take classes again for fun, but they can be kind of expensive.
Good luck with the audition, and have fun!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:07 PM   #17
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I am in a show choir. We dance swing/ jazz/modern/etc...it's really fun. I have only been in it for 2 years, but it's still really a great experience. I want to take proper dancing class, but don't have either the time nor money. Oh well...maybe someday...
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #18
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

I started ballet when I was two and a half, so that means that I've been dancing for about thirteen years. I took tap for two years (when I was five and six) but didn't like it very much and then switched to jazz. I took lyrical for one year and this is my first year taking modern and hip hop. I'm also in a show choir at my school.

Okay, so, let's see... thirteen years of ballet (four of those being pointe)... that's one one and a half hour class a week. Jazz... for eight years one one hour class a week. Modern... first year! one one hour class a week. Hip hop... first year! one one hour class a week. Show choir... mainly school hours.

I'm also on the Competition Team at my dance studio... for jazz and ballet/lyrical. We have one one hour class a week for each. And then, I TA on Mondays for an hour.

The only reason I don't do more is because I just can't fit it into my schedule, and, despite the little bit that I dance, I'm pretty good (according to others). I wish that I could dance all of the time, but there just aren't enough hours in the week!!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:09 AM   #19
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Agreed, Rudhaglarien. Much evilness in that there isn't enough time in the week. Are you going to the nationals in Jackson? I forget which competition that is, exactly, but whatever...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:54 AM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wish I could dance all the time too!!