Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

naming character

I did a search and didn't find a thread for this.
This thread does have a specific question, but it can go on in a more general direction as well.

I am writing a story (that is actually working- I have three whole chapters! That's gotta be a record for me!). One of the main stories is about a being. This is a fanfic, actually, so that makes it harder to explain, but I'll try. This being was created by the meeting of three great forces: an ultimate black magic, an ultimate white magic, and the spiritual energy of most of the planet. It's nature is a little vague, but it is sentient, neither good nor evil, and looks sort of human-like, but not. I don't know what to call it; it seems weird to give it an actual name, but I can't just run around calling it "that weird thing" or "the being" throughout the whole story. The name can go a lot of different ways, since the story is a little bit satirical, I've found. Any suggestions?

Apart from that, what is important in a good name? What are some good names you might have heard? Does anyone else have a problem thinking of a name?

(I could've sworn there was a thread about this but I really couldn't find it, so don't eat me if there is one somewhere out there...)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Wow, thats a hard question. Let me see. I can't actually think of a name at the moment but i'll get back to that.

Generally to me the names are pretty important. You can tell so much from a name - well you could, generally thats all changed. People arn't named as they used to be. People don't look to the meaning behind a name, and they just look at the name. (If that makes sense).

I always have problems with thinking about names, then I'll come up with a good one and the next day realise that it's the opposite of good!

Well if this story is satirical you could refer to this force as a type of God or something.

I doubt that has helped but it's all I can think of for the moment.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah. Thanks. (I'm trying to talk and think right now) As long as you get my brain thinking...that might work...maybe..(still thinking)

I wish my name had a cool meaning. I was named after my grandma.

I named this other guy after Franz Joseph Haydn for a specific reason, but I hate the name Joseph. I haven't had much good experience with Josephs, I'm afraid...
Old 02-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think names a very important... you want them to be somewhat exotic so people remember them... but not so out there that they become unpronouncable

you could take the route tolkien did for the most part and base the naming system upon a pre-existing culture (nordic/anglo in tolkien's case), this way your names and expressions will have a tendency to "fit" with one another... just be sure to choose one obscure enough as to not be too familiar with your audience... you can also vary spelling to an extent to try to give it your own flavor

one of my favorite sources for names is this site for african names
Old 02-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i know what you mean; the names i make up always sound ridiculous. that's why most of the time, i temporarily name them after a charcter in a book, then if i think of a good name, i switch it.
also, things come to you at the weirdest moments, so if you ever think of some good names, write them down so you can use them when you need them!
and for your story, you could call it "the being"- just capitalize it. call it "The Being"

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

Ha ha. It didn't seem as funny when I said it. "The Being". Maybe something like that...but not exactly like that. You made me laugh out loud though, Lady Ravyn.

"I can't do it. I can't defeat...The Being..." *dies*
Old 02-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Reminds me of 'The Blob'!

Sorry... that's just hillarious!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 02-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh yeah! I just got it! Your idea, Lalaith_Elf! I'll take Jehova, and change a letter, then it's Jenova! ...Oh wait that won't work (there's already something called Jenova).

The blob? Yeah that could work...(J/K) It'd be pretty funny though.

Last edited by katya : 02-19-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #9
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

My idea? Huh? Okay I'm confused.....

And it doesn't matter if theres something already with that name. As long as it's not in the same context it shouldn't matter too much.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #10
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Personally for something like that I would have a little scene where it gets named 'Spirit' or something . But that's just me most likely .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #11
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
My idea? Huh? Okay I'm confused.....

And it doesn't matter if theres something already with that name. As long as it's not in the same context it shouldn't matter too much.
First, your idea about a God or something

And, it is in the same context. It's...complicated...
Old 02-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #12
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I understand now... my brain is just concentrating on a story I'm writing so I'll not be much help.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I have trouble thinking up names, so I'm just going to use plant names as a base for most of mine, unless I'm otherwise inspired.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #14
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ravyn
- just capitalize it. call it "The Being"

To take this idea a bit further, you might want to give the name an adjective to describe it's physical characteristics: i.e. "The Grey Being" or "The Shadow Being." It's a bit more interesting than just "The Being" and it keeps it from getting confused with any other "Beings" that might be lurking around in your world.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:51 PM   #15
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I have trouble thinking up names, so I'm just going to use plant names as a base for most of mine, unless I'm otherwise inspired.
plant names? omg, what a great idea! you know, thinking about it, i bet other authors do that- some of the names in some books sound rather...scientific...

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

Plants, yeah, like Botan (peony)...
Ok here's the deal: One name for the whole thing which can only be given to it by another character (since in the story it only calls itself stuff that sounds suspiciously Twilight Zone like- no actual name). So, I've decided that the name can be a little silly. It's forms might have separate names though. I don't know what any of those will be like yet though..so yeah...Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that, um, well, I guess nothing. Thanks for all the great suggestions though.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I have a weird knack for choosing character names when it comes to the more "common" names. For example, I named a character Elizabeth, and then later was looking up name meanings on a baby site and discovered that it meant "consecrated to God". Though the story isn't exactly religious in nature, it is relevant to the character and her story arc, which I found odd. This has happened more than once.

You could call it "Enigma 1" or something like that, since it sounds like a rather enigmatic being to me.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:59 PM   #18
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Some good names:
Isaria
Polluxus
Daemos
Erebos (Greek for "darkness")
Typhus
Aristophon

Coming up with names is easy for me. Some are from greek mythology, just re-spelled...or not.
Good luck.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:07 AM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

More names, all from plant latin names:

Achillia
Alium
Amelanchier
Aralia
Arnica
Artemesia
Artemiesia
Betula
Betula
Bromus
Cladina
Cladonia
Fragaria
Linnea
Lonicera
Myrsenites
Opuntia
Orthilia
Penstemon
Roseus
Sagittata
Senicio
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #20
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

Coming up with names can be complicated, or it can't. I find it easy to take existing names and change letters. An example is Joseph. You can make it Jothep (don't take that he's in my story.)

Another way I like is taking words that exist like Australia, and change letters, or take some away.

Autra
Astru
Hustrala
Tralia
Tralis
Teruli
Luitra

One word can spark a hundred. For building's and places is the funnest though. I learned quite a useful technique from LoTR which is things with two names like Henneth Annun or Minas Tirith. I have at least two-four for some places.

Ona Khay
Ona Khun
Ona Khlail
Ona Kheel
One Khlol

It doesn't matter how silly your names are either. Like any name you get used to it. Galadriel, or Cirith Ungol sound silly at first, but you get used to it fast.
Say Agagligar ten times. It sounds funny but gets less humourous every time you say it.

Some tips on names for elves is using flowing letters like u or l.

Alfalas
Luilen

Dwarves should have rough letters like g and h and k.

Khur
Gurgul
Grul
Gromy

As for other beasts like Orcs or trolls, use any assortment of letters.

Golz
Mendrash

Men are sometimes hard, but the easiest way to make names for riders or ranges are using weapons in their names, or caombining two words.

Goldenbrand
Brownblade
Rainblade

That's all the tips I have and use.

PS: Please do not use any names I have mentioned.