Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum Grass on Sand Dunes?

I don't quite understand what hobbits live in. I have always imagined that it was regular dirt, and as common sense dictates that that is the only possibility, drawing from the many other descriptions of the Shire, which is usually depicted as mostly grass, hills, trees and low houses. Why then do people in Gondor (and other men) say that "Halflings" live in sand dunes. Or more specifically, holes in sand dunes. I don't have all my books anymore, so I can't quote anyone, but I could swear I read like statements. Anyway, I know that many hobbits live in holes, others in small rounded houses, but where did the men of Gondor and Rohan get the crazy idea that the race they called "Halflings" lived in sand dunes?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

old wives tales and the such like
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Maybe it's just the stigma of living in the ground (and that it implies a certain amount of "backwards-ness" as compared to people who live above ground in "real" houses) that causes the men of Gondor to furthur diminish the Hobbits by reffering to their dwellings as "sand dunes." Or, they perhaps consider it so absurd, that they've embellished the story to make it even more "unbelievable."
Just my thoughts.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
trolls' bane

Gollum

Probably true. The whole idea of hobbits seems to the Godorrohrim (spelled wrong ) to be old wive's tales. Still, what made the old wives' stories include sand dunes?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
trolls' bane

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
Maybe it's just the stigma of living in the ground (and that it implies a certain amount of "backwards-ness" as compared to people who live above ground in "real" houses) that causes the men of Gondor to furthur diminish the Hobbits by reffering to their dwellings as "sand dunes." Or, they perhaps consider it so absurd, that they've embellished the story to make it even more "unbelievable."
Just my thoughts.
Missed your post.

That seems fit. I guess the only thing that keeps the men of gondor from doing the same to dwarves is that they don't seem to posess the magic to "disappear when some large stupid person like you or me come blundering along making a noise like elephants which can be heard from a mile off"

Old 02-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Missed your post.

That seems fit. I guess the only thing that keeps the men of gondor from doing the same to dwarves is that they don't seem to posess the magic to "disappear when some large stupid person like you or me come blundering along making a noise like elephants which can be heard from a mile off"

Yeah, dwarves were considerably louder than hobbits...and less sensitive to noise, they would have to be, though, to succeed in the fields of work that they liked....that makes me wonder why they were so good with music maybe the ones who worked in mining and smithying less were better at playing music...
Also, living in a mountain seems a little more plausible than living in a hill. Although, in the U.S, some settlers in the Midwest would make houses out of sod (umm...imagine peices of lawn cut into large bricks)

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
trolls' bane

Gollum

The midwest! Does that include southern california? No, I doubt it. I only saw a sod house once.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I think the sod houses were only on the great plains... some of the parts between the Mississippi and the Rockies - but probably not that entire expanse.

As for the Hobbit - holes:

1. I'm not sure what you mean about the Hobbits living in regular dirt. I don't think there was any dirt left exposed in the hole-homes the Hobbits used. I would think it was entirely covered with stone, brick, wood, plaster or some such.

2. If you just mean where the hole was placed, that was probably a matter of availability. If sand was all there was, a hobbit might well make his hole in the sand.

3. It's entirely possible that early, less advanced Hobbits DID live in plainer holes - just regular holes in the ground, maybe fixed up as much as they could. Doesn't Tolkien tell us that at the time of LOTR, the only Hobbits who still lived in holes were either the richer ones - who made the elaborate hole-homes, and the very poor ones - who lived in regular holes in the ground?

4. As Embladyne has suggested, like most good stories, there could be some misinformation here... some misunderstanding about Hobbits on the part of those who live in Gondor, where there had never been any direct experience with Hobbits - and all that they knew from them was very old information passed down through the years.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I think that what he means is that grass does not usually grow on sand-dunes, other type of vegetation (bushes, thorny "stuff" grows on dunes); I think that what he means is that grass grows best on soil made by drift or debris.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Grasses grow on sand dunes out here, tho (California, USA). Not your nice lawn-type grass, but definitely grasses.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
trolls' bane

Gollum

You live in the desert, R*an? By Bermuda Dunes by any chance? Would you ever have happened to wander as far as The Living Desert?

I am somewhere between both of your points.
As far as I can tell, from descriptions of what hobbits are like and the shire, most of the shire-towns were green grass (like the whole shire was a front lawn), which cannot grow on sand. Also, loose sand (as in sand-dunes) cannot (from what I have seen) stay in a fixed position, else the sand dune would not exist. That is what I am asking. How can hobbits live in sand dunes yet without their holes caving in while they're plastering them (drawing from what Valandil said), and with the grass growing healthy above. By regular dirt, I mean, not gravel, or in this case, sand, but not potting soil either. "Regular dirt" is much more easy to build in, I'm sure, when compared to these other ones. What led the people of Gondor (who descended from a prosperous civilization, despite their decline) to change "regular dirt" and grass to sand dunes?

Sorry if this is unclear. I was sort of going one sentece at a time, so I don't know if it makes sense.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't think there were actual sand dunes in The Shire, I think it was more old wives tales and such as Embladyne and Chrys suggested.

I always got the impression that The Shire was a temperate mixed forest with maybe Podzolic or Brunisolic soils. A lot of the original woodland has been cut down and used as pasture land for many years. I imagine there's a lot of land lying fallow and trees planted on pastures.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

As a soil scientist I'd agree with Nurv about the shire itself. While the soil may be a sandy-loam, the agriculture was likely well off because of the richer (darker soils (I picture the countryside to be akin to Oregon's River valleys and old Lake valleys that nestle between tall volcanic mountain ranges. Poaciea does grow on Sand, beach sand in fact, or dunes. Matter of moisture (ground, air) since the large pores would drain the water off before the plants could uptake it. Neither here nor there though to the discussion....I think I'm getting cheeky and had better move on...LOL

The "tale" of hobbits living in sand dunes could come from when they lived more easterly? And the tale traveled with middle-earth populations as they moved west? I don't know...sigh

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Tolkien says that there were many more Hobbits scattered over Eriador than the ones in the Shire suspected. Given that Gondor didn't seem to have much overland contact with Eriador, but was a major maritime nation, it's possible that fisherman or other mariners came into contact with hobbits on the coasts of Enedwaith and Minhiriath (north of Gondor, south of Lindon) around the mouths of the Isen, Greyflood and Brandywine Rivers, where they could have been living among the dunes- or close enough for seamen's tall tales.

Maybe they were Stoors, and more used to water, and followed the Brandywine down, or crossed directly from the Anduin to the Isen, to find refuge in an isolated, unpopulated and therefore relatively safe area of Middle-Earth.

Last edited by GreyMouser : 11-27-2006 at 12:59 AM.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #15
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
As Embladyne has suggested, like most good stories, there could be some misinformation here... some misunderstanding about Hobbits on the part of those who live in Gondor, where there had never been any direct experience with Hobbits - and all that they knew from them was very old information passed down through the years.
There is little doubt about the situation here. Théoden told Merry (Two Towers, “The Road to Isengard”) that
Quote:
‘…we know no tales about hobbits. All that is said among us is that … the halfling folk … dwell in holes in sand-dunes. …it is said that they do little, and avoid the sight of men, being able to vanish in a twinkling; and they can change their voices to resemble the piping of birds…’
These Holbytlan of the folk-tales of Rohan sound very like the leprechauns or “little people” of the British Isles: a story somewhat embellished over time, if not imbued with misinformation from its inception; after all, the very next thing that Théoden observed was that Merry “‘spouted smoke from’” his mouth, a wonderful source of misinformation for generations of Rohirrim to come!

In Fellowship of the Ring, “At the Sign of The Prancing Pony”, Tolkien as narrator says that
Quote:
The Shire-hobbits referred to those … that lived beyond the borders as Outsiders, … considering them dull and uncouth. There were probably many more Outsiders scattered about in the West of the World in those days than the people of the Shire imagined. Some, doubtless, were no better than tramps, ready to dig a hole in any bank and stay only as long as it suited them.
I think some of the hobbits that were Outsiders did live in unlined, dirt-floored hobbit-holes, and many of the poor hobbits of the Shire probably did as well. Many of our own, real-world forebears lived in dirt-floor houses for most of human history, covering the floor with rushes and grasses which had to be swept out as it became dirty and decayed; Bilbo’s hobbit-hole was “the most luxurious hobbit-hole ... that was to be found either under The Hill or over The Hill or across The Water” (The Hobbit, “An Unexpected Party”), and so must be regarded as quite exceptional with its “paneled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted”.

“The bricks [removed from the Shirriff-houses] were used to repair many an old hole, to make it snugger and drier,” according to The Return of the King in “The Grey Havens”. This would seem to indicate that many Shire hobbit-holes were not lined with brick, and so had less substantial walls; this might have been particularly true for the older hobbit-holes. (Perhaps hobbits used wooden shoring members to prevent cave-ins of their tunnels.) Note that immediately after the quote beginning this paragraph, Tolkien wrote that
Quote:
One of the first things done in Hobbiton, before even the removal of the new mill, was the clearing of the Hill and Bag End, and the restoration of Bagshot Row. The front of the new sand-pit was all leveled and made into a large sheltered garden, and new holes were dug in the southward face, back into the Hill, and they were lined with brick. The Gaffer was restored to Number Three…
That might indicate that Sam’s original home had no brick lining, though this is not definite from the context; however, look at the term that Tolkien uses for the remains of Bagshot Row: a “sand-pit”; and in “The Scouring of the Shire”, he says that “Bagshot Row was a yawning sand and gravel quarry.” I don’t know whether these two passages indicate that The Hill had sandy soil, or that there was sand produced as a result of quarrying, perhaps of limestone or sandstone bedrock.

Last edited by Alcuin : 11-27-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #16
trolls' bane

Wow! Great bump! (Last post towards the beginning of 2005, and I remember posting this! )

Well, I'm not very up-to-date on the discussion thus far, but it seems as though you have quite a bit of evidence I could not have looked up (having only the Silmarillion not in storage).
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #17
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
Many of our own, real-world forebears lived in dirt-floor houses for most of human history, covering the floor with rushes and grasses which had to be swept out as it became dirty and decayed.
Yes. That is why the entrance to a home, even today, is called the threshold.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #18
trolls' bane

I don't get it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
Alcuin
Salt Miner

The piece of wood that goes across the bottom of a doorway, slightly raised from the rest of the floor – that’s a threshold, because it holds the thresh (grass or reeds) in the house so it doesn’t get into the very dirty outside.

Thanks, Jon S. I just couldn’t bring the word threshold to mind when I posted before.

Now trolls’ bane, if you’re interested, there’s a wonderful little (true) story behind the phrase, It’s raining cats and dogs…
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #20
trolls' bane

I'm interested, as long as it doesn't require any work on my part.