Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Herooftheworld
Hobbit

Gandalf what is your favorit LotR book, and why!

Why do you like them so much, and which ones do you like?
Herooftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Do you mean "book" as in Books I through VI, or as in the publisher's breakdown into three books each containing two books? Or does the whole thing count as one book, as Tolkien claimed.

If the first, I like Frodo's Quest especially, and that means Book IV and the Mordor parts of Books V and VI. Because it's like that Childe Roland poem by Browning, except it goes on and on and gets bleaker and darker and you just don't know how they can possibly survive it! And Sam is such a ROCK through it all! What a friend! I still get choked up about that.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I *love* the FOTR I just think it is a great book! I dont really like either books in TTT, just kinda a inbetween and kinda boring book for me, not very fun. I liked the second half of ROTK tho Those are just great parts. Dont know why I like them exactly, I just do!
Old 01-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I like Fellowship of the Ring the best. I liked it because it was more lighthearted and easier to follow. And exciting, too! In TTT and ROTK I found it difficult to keep track of all the separate storylines. Like, for example, I was reading and I came to this part where Pippin and Merry were talking and stuff and Gandalf was there (the chapter of Pippin and the Palantir) and I was like, "Huh? When did they come along?" So I had to go back, skim read the chapter before it and, 20 minutes later, I finally understood. And ROTK had so many war scenes from different points of view which repeatedly switched back and forth. You know, Merry to Pippin to Gandalf to Aragorn back to Pippin to Merry then Pippin with Gandalf then Prince Imrahil...I got confused... I like FOTR because it was so easy to follow. I do like the Sam and Frodo parts in TTT and ROTK though. Those are the best parts of the book. I'm always like, "How many chapters 'til Sam and Frodo?"
Old 01-21-2003, 08:01 PM   #5
Herooftheworld
Hobbit

Gandalf the hobbit``

right now i'm reading the hobbit, and it's my first tolkien book. I like it a lot. I'm at the part where Bilbo solved all of the riddels and ran out of the cave or whatever it was. Now he's deciding to go back to find Gandalf and the Dwarfs!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Oh yes! I love The Hobbit as well! Very well done book!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #7
Herooftheworld
Hobbit

Nazgul Hobbit(part two)

I really enjoy how it was written. I'm amazed by how much detail he put into these charecters! The book blows my mind, and I think that it always will. In fifth grade, we went to see the play in milwuakee and i loved the story ever since!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #8
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Ah... well many people don't call it a book of LotR, but it's definitely a fave. Too bad there aren't any hobbits in the Silm.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I ike RoTK, though I'm partia to book III.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:15 PM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I too am a fan of Return of the King. My favorite part of the entire saga is the Paths of the Dead. I think, for me, RotK is my favorite, because it is so filled with so many different aspects of each characters lives. I really had a hard time putting down Return of the King and found myself reading and reading and reading more so than I did with FotR & TTT. RotK also has one of the best endings EVER, not to mention but it individually culminates the future of each race, while celebrating the accomplishments they achieved together and alone. I mean, we started out with a very broad and general world full of differing types of people and creatures and in Return of the King, it brings them all together showing that they really are not different or alone, but instead they are all the same in nature.......
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
goodwarlord
Elven Warrior

Gandalf lotr books

i would like to continue reading the books
goodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:53 PM   #12
unregistered
Enting

TTT is my favorite because of Gollum...

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #13
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I ike RoTK, though I'm partia to book III.
Ditto for me

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #14
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Return of the King. It's hard to pick one, when they all fit together, but I think that RotK is the best, because Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers spend their time building up to the final climax: Return of the King. I also love the Frodo/Sam scenes in Mordor, Cirith Ungul, and the Grey Havens. I also think that all of the characters transform a bit, turning more into heroes, and I think that's fascinating to watch.

Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Sam Gamgee

I think that FotR is my favorite LotR book. I love the whole Tom Bombadil and the barrowdowns. I also love the part where Frodo, Sam and Pippin are just starting the journey...it gives you a chance to really get to know the characters' personalites.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:50 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

TTT. It's really hard to explain why... I really don't know. It is just the most interesting book. And the funniest. (there are two good jokes in LOTR. Them both in TTT)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
And the funniest. (there are two good jokes in LOTR. Them both in TTT)
What are they?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:24 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

FotR seemed to have more humor to me, esp toward the beginning.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #19
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I also love TTT
I think because i love the Ents, and Faramir (one of my fave characters) is introduced.
And i love the scenes at Helm's Deep. Especially with Gimli's and Legolas' competition.
But i also really love the fighting in RoTK. What can i say? I'm a bloodthirsty person.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Anywho, my favorite LOTR book is Return of the King.

Why, you ask? (Ok, maybe you don't, but ANYWAY... )
Appendices.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote