Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Why Legolas?

When reading LOTR itself, it seems no big deal that Legolas is chosen to represent the Elves in selecting the nine members of the fellowship of The Ring. However, after reading 'The Silmarillion' and getting an understanding of the Noldor, the Sindar, etc - and understanding a little about their differences from the Silvan Elves, or Wood Elves... makes me wonder why Legolas of the Silvan Elves should join this fellowship instead of a Noldor or Sindar. The latter had much more prior involvement and investment in the history of the Rings and the wars with Morgoth and Sauron. It almost seems to me that a Noldor or Sindar going along would be to help in handling their own 'unfinished business'... 'cleaning up their own messes' so to speak. But instead they send a Silvan Elf... whose people really had nothing to do with all that ring stuff.

Any ideas why? I think I know what Olmer will say! Any others?

(EDIT: but Olmer, you are welcome to go ahead and say what you will about it. )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 05-13-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Olmer
Elf Lord

Re: Why Legolas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil

Any ideas why? I think I know what Olmer will say!
He-he, I wonder what do you think I will say?
But you are right , I have some explanation.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Maybe the Silvan Elves wanted to make their mark on history, or get into the story of the Ring somewhere. Maybe the fact that the Silvan Elves hadn't been involved with the Ring was reason for believing that a Silvan Elf might not be as attracted to the Ring, and therefore present a lesser threat to the Ringbearer and the Quest. It seems that the more 'earthy' (forgive the term) that a being is, the less sucseptible they are to the power of the Ring. Tom B. wasn't fazed by it because he's the very essence of nature. The Ents don't care about it because they are a part of nature. Hobbits are very resilient to it because they are so in-tune with nature- stands to reason that a Wood-elf would be less likely to want the Ring than the Noldor or Sindarin Elves.

Maybe....
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Elrond was the one who made the fellowship.
Maybe he thought another elf would join the fellowship, but then he was persuaded that Pippin is a better choice and could'nt tell L:egolas that he's not part of it,. since he was already in.
Maybe, because Legolas was a prince he chose him. A prince would represent the Elves better than a 'regular' Noldo.
Maybe Legolas was just skilled, more than most Elves, even Noldor - so Elrond chose him.
Maybe, as Rosie said, Legolas would be less tempted to take the ring than most of the Noldor because he does not will to rule others, as a simple Green Elf.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Valandil

Theoden Re: Re: Why Legolas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Olmer
He-he, I wonder what do you think I will say?
But you are right , I have some explanation.
Probably that the Noldor didn't want to 'get their hands dirty' this time, so they picked a chump Silvan Elf to go!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Chump Elf?! Hey now, what's wrong with Legolas?
Why not send him? He was there at the council and so was already involved. He's highly skilled and capable, plus, not to mention, of royal blood.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Olmer
Elf Lord

Re: Re: Re: Why Legolas?

Quote:
Probably that the Noldor didn't want to 'get their hands dirty' this time, so they picked a chump Silvan Elf to go!
A you reading my mind?
That 's the main idea!!
Don't have time now.Will go into details in the evening.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: Re: Why Legolas?

Quote:
Oh no!!! Your mind has been poisoned!!!!!!!!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #9
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Good point by RTB. Elrond was probably going to select two elves in addition (Glorfindel? His sons? Arwen?). And selecting so would have given a more "balanced membership:
hobbits-2
men-2
elves-3
wizards-1
dwarves-1

"There remain two more to be found," said Elrond. "These I will consider. Of my household I may find some that it seems good to me to send."

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

My own take has been similar to others, though I still wrestle with the question.

But the plan behind the 9 Walkers was to represent all the free peoples of Middle Earth. Technically the Noldor are no longer of Middle Earth though they dwell there for atime. The same can not be said of the Sylvan elves who never left. Thus Legolas is a more appropriate member of the group than Glorfindel. Add to that his age, his royal blood, their involvement in the holding of Gollum and so on. Sure, there are holes in the position, but there it is.

Forkbeard
Old 05-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #11
azalea
Long lost mooter

My own thought is that the main reason he went was that he was already "out" -- traveling away from home. Certainly he wouldn't have felt right just heading back home with the message that "they're going to destroy the evil Ring, and we're just going to have to see what happens." Being that he was already far from home, it would make sense for him to represent the elves on the trip, although more might have been helpful, too. (I mean it's not like they couldn't have had a couple of more along, just because it wouldn't have mirrored the number of Nazgul. )

Also, maybe the Green elves had more at stake -- they weren't leaving like the others, were they?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
Olmer
Elf Lord

It is time for a little shock treatment for Legolas-lovers.
Why exactly a Grey- elf ?
Let Lothlorien leave out for a while , but Rivendell has not lesser warriors then Lorien. Even better...take Glorfindel for example… Nevertheless with Frodo goes an unsophisticated wood-elf from the Mirkwood.
Did you notice how in time the representatives of all races turned out to be present in Rivendell under some or other lame excuses? Seems that an invitations had been sent beforehand .
Legolas says that Gollum’s escape is the reason of his appearance at the Counsel. But it’s not the reason, it’s, most likely, the consequence. Why such message-boy job was given to the prince of Mirkwood?
By the way, don’t it look odd to you, that Thranduil’s son not even once had visited his kinsman Celeborn’s realm? They used to be friends, allies, one race, at last, simply good neighbors…
Lorien is closed, you will say, and will be damn right. Closed especially to any plebeians who didn’t see the Eternal Light of Valinor, and the main thing, was not being a vassals of Lady of the Light.
Legolas mission allowed Thranduil a unique opportunity to step over snobbery of the Lords of Golden Wood, to get on the same level with them, and maybe even higher. At decline of their existence in Middle-earth elves at last got the real chance to a final unity and this chance was created by Gandalf. Elrond was in complete solidarity. Galadriel under present circumstances had no opportunity to provide with her own candidate, and had to reluctantly agree on steps , chosen by Elrond and Gandalf .

(“Let it be a man not from our area”…- from the movie discussion of two well respected men about picking up a kidnapper)
Aside from being a symbol of unification, Legolas had to undertake one more task, not so romantic - the control over Men. The main reason why he, but not somebody from Elrond’s household has been chosen to join the Fellowship was in his belonging to the Wood- elves, who were …different from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous an less wise.("The Hobbit”) and their magic was strong . If in the process of mission, say, Boromir, or , especially Aragorn, will get his own ideas concerning the Ring , Legolas would find some spell to put him “at once into a dreamless slumber" (FOTR) which was healing all illnesses, including a powercraving. Rivendell's elf would not rise his hand on Aragorn (his respect in Rivendell was very high), but sindar from the Mirkwood will make all quickly and without hesitation. (Another thing that during the trip he grew to love and respect Aragorn .) And what is important, that the responsibility for it will lay down only on Thranduil, Elrond will save both : his face and friendship with Dunadains.
But certainly, such outcome was assumed by organizers of a campaign as the extremest , because , after all, with group went an overseer - Gandalf.

Last edited by Olmer : 05-19-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:34 AM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Olmer
It is time for a little shock treatment for Legolas-lovers.
Why exactly a Grey- elf ?
Let Lothlorien leave out for a while , but Rivendell has not lesser warriors then Lorien. Even better...take Glorfindel for example… Nevertheless with Frodo goes an unsophisticated wood-elf from the Mirkwood.
Did you notice how in time the representatives of all races turned out to be present in Rivendell under some or other lame excuses? Seems that an invitations had been sent beforehand .
Legolas says that Gollum’s escape is the reason of his appearance at the Counsel. But it’s not the reason, it’s, most likely, the consequence. Why such message-boy job was given to the prince of Mirkwood?
By the way, don’t it look odd to you, that Thranduil’s son not even once had visited his kinsman Celeborn’s realm? They used to be friends, allies, one race, at last, simply good neighbors…
Lorien is closed, you will say, and will be damn right. Closed especially to any plebeians who didn’t see the Eternal Light of Valinor, and the main thing, was not being a vassals of Lady of the Light.
Legolas mission allowed Thranduil a unique opportunity to step over snobbery of the Lords of Golden Wood, to get on the same level with them, and maybe even higher. At decline of their existence in Middle-earth elves at last got the real chance to a final unity and this chance was created by Gandalf. Elrond was in complete solidarity. Galadriel under present circumstances had no opportunity to provide with her own candidate, and had to reluctantly agree on steps , chosen by Elrond and Gandalf .
No invitation was sent - Elrond says it himself. ("That is the purpoe for which you are called hither. Called, I say, though I have not called you...")
I believe Legolas was snet to Rivendell because Thranduil knew important decisions will be made. He probably didn't think Gollum escaping was very important, from Legolas reaction when Gandalf talks about him.
I don't understand why would Thranduil want to have an elf in Lothlorien, as you say he would.

Quote:

(“Let it be a man not from our area”…-a discussion from the movie of two well respected men about picking up a kidnapper)
Aside from being a symbol of unification, Legolas had to undertake one more task, not so romantic - the control over Men. The main reason why he, but not somebody from Elrond’s household has been chosen to join the Fellowship was in his belonging to the Wood- elves, who were …different from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous an less wise.("The Hobbit”) and their magic was strong . If in the process of mission, say, Boromir, or , especially Aragorn, will get his own ideas concerning the Ring , Legolas would find some spell to put him “at once into a dreamless slumber" (FOTR) which was healing all illnesses, including a powercraving. Rivendell's elf would not rise his hand on Aragorn (his respect in Rivendell was very high), but sindar from the Mirkwood will make all quickly and without hesitation. (Another thing that during the trip he grew to love and respect Aragorn .) And what is important, that the responsibility for it will lay down only on Thranduil, Elrond will save both : his face and friendship with Dunadains.
But certainly, such outcome was assumed by organizers of a campaign as the extremest , because , after all, with group went an overseer - Gandalf.
You say Legolas went with the fellowship, for that if Aragorn/Boromir will want to take tthe ring he'd stop them.
Why do you think a Noldo wouldn't protect Frodo and the ring, and, if needed, attack Aragorn? The Ring was without any doubts mor important than the love to Aragorn, and I'm sure Glorfindel for example, knows it, and will do what is needed.
Besides, I'm sure Elrond didn't think Aragorn will take the Ring.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I, personally, believe Olmer is serious at least 30% of the time.
So to comment on one part:
The reference in LOTR to how they all came to be there in time for the Council of Elrond is one of the occasional brilliant allusions to the providence of Iluvatar with Middle-earth.

"What shall we do with the Ring, the least of rings, the trifle that Sauron fancies? That is the doom that we must deem.
That is the purpose for which you are called hither. Called, I say, though I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands. You have come and are here met, in this very nick of time, by chance as it may seem. Yet it is not so. Believe rather that it is so ordered that we, who sit here, and none others, must now find counsel for the peril of the world."

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Old 05-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Called, I say, though I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands.
You are right, Elrond did not invite everybody.
The representatives of some races showed up quite unexpectedly and , yes, literally in the nick of time, to find out that they almost missed the matter of big importance. Elrond had nothing else to come up with, but to make it look like that everyone who already knew of this Ring matter has come also by providence of Iluvatar.
In my HO the appearance of Dwarves and a representative from Gondor could be credited to Sauron’s interference, otherwise they would be left overboard.

But OF COURSE I’m not 100% serious about all my postulates, after all, I ‘m just trying to explain in sensible way some things in the book, which seems have no sense..
Tolkien's book, like the Bible, full of hidden meanings. The fun began when I started discover them in his text , plainly written: just use your deduction, put two and two together and … you will see the real, not so fairy-talish world of Middle-earth. Something, which look more closer to the Silmarillion world then to the world from “The Hobbit”.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #16
Valandil

Theoden Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Legolas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Forkbeard
Oh no!!! Your mind has been poisoned!!!!!!!!
Not to worry... I thought I knew what Olmer would say... but I don't necessarily believe that myself.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #17
Ithildin55
Hobbit

Why Legolas?

To summarize previously mentioned points and maybe add a tidbit or two:

1. Elrond trusted to Ilúvatar that those destined to participate in the Quest were among those who showed up providentially at the Council.

2. Legolas, as the King’s son, aptly represented the Elves of Thranduil’s realm who had, however inadvertently, allowed Gollum to escape; a situation that could have significantly endangered the success of Frodo’s mission. Legolas may also have born personal responsibility in the chain of events that led to Gollum’s escape.

3. Legolas represented the Silvan Elves, who at the end of the Third Age were probably the largest population of Elves ME; for all but a small remnant of the Noldorin and Sindarin populations had departed by that time. The Silvan Elves could rightly be considered one of the Free Peoples fighting to preserve their homeland, since most of them would be remaining in ME permanently.

4. Elrond intended to fill the remaining spaces on the Fellowship with Noldor Elves, but Gandalf urged him to allow the Hobbits to go when they protested being left behind. Elrond trusted again to Providence and also to Gandalf’s foresight and wisdom in the matter, leaving Legolas alone to represent the Elven kindreds.

5. Though it is not mentioned, Gandalf may have had a say in recommending Legolas as well, as the Wizard enjoyed a standing invitation to the Elvenking’s Halls.

Those who risk nothing – achieve nothing...
STS-107 Columbia and Crew: Your Dream will live on.
We will keep reaching for the stars.
Ithildin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #18
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Legolas eventually left Middle-earth, with Gimli. Did any
Silvan elves then have the option of leaving, and if not then why could Legolas do so(who was not a ringbearer)?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:04 AM   #19
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Legolas eventually left Middle-earth, with Gimli. Did any
Silvan elves then have the option of leaving, and if not then why could Legolas do so(who was not a ringbearer)?
I think any of the Silvan elves had the option of leaving...ever since they were first invited not long after the Awakening.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:13 AM   #20
Ithildin55
Hobbit

After the War of Wrath, the option to sail West was open to any Elves that chose to go.

So, yes, the Silvan Elves could leave, just not as many were interested in doing so. Some did; I think the Lay of Nimrodel gives an example. And some could have gone with Legolas, but Tolkien neglected to mention if any did. Legolas seemed to think that few if any would accompany him on that journey; he anticipated “lonely sailing” in his Song of the Sea in RotK.

Ithildin55 *(

Those who risk nothing – achieve nothing...
STS-107 Columbia and Crew: Your Dream will live on.
We will keep reaching for the stars.

Last edited by Ithildin55 : 05-19-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Ithildin55 is offline   Reply With Quote