Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Of Mount Doom

If we take the Ring to represent sin and evil; couldn't the journey up Mount Doom to get rid of the Ring be comparable to a journey up Mount Purgatory? Would Sam's carrying Frodo up the mountain be seen as the guiding influence of a friend to help you get rid of sin? Any thoughts?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

so all the trials (gollum, shelob etc) were there to mentally prepare Frodo for dramatically ridding the world of evil.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

but frodo failed...he was broken...he succumbed...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
jammi567

i know that, but what i'm saying is that they were there so that he could do it in the first place, regardless of what happened afterwards.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
but frodo failed
I wouldn't say so; according to letter #246, "his real contract was only to do what he could, to try to find a way, and to go as far on the road as his strength of mind and body allowed." Seeing things from that point of view, he didn't fail, and Tolkien states several times that he justly received all honors.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

oh, well than, true enough!
----------------
Old 05-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

That's a cool idea, an allusion to Purgatory.
But the destruction of the Ring was on March 25, the traditional date of the crucifixion. So I think it's more likely it represents the "descent into Sheol" that's traditionally been accepted by Catholocism.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
March 25, the traditional date of the crucifixion.
Oh yeah? I never knew that. That's very interesting. But I still think that the comparison to Purgatory holds water because Frodo was quite average after all. IMO, he's meant to represent the struggle of humans against Evil (I used to think of him as a Christ-figure, but I don't anymore)
Old 05-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
jammi567

I fyou go to this place, you can find out who people think is the Christ figure. http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?t=13198

Old 05-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I already know some Mooters' viewpoints on the matter!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
jammi567

i love the viewpoints on there, especially that Alsan from the Narnia series was meant to be representing Christ!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Even if the analogy is accurate that the ring represents sin and evil, Frodo dealt with it by personal action. He did not place his faith in a god/demigod to neutralize the sin/evil but acted to negate it. You can say he succumbed in the end and you can also say the final redemption came as the result of another physical being's (Gollum's) personal action. Be careful with these angles, you truly can read whatever you want into some of this stuff.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i liked what christopher lee way saying in the interview on the first movie dvd, how samwise was the true hero...the "common man"...
----------------
Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
Landroval
Elven Warrior

That is what Tolkien seemed to imply in letter #131:

I think the simple 'rustic' love of Sam and his Rosie (nowhere elaborated) is absolutely essential to the study of his (the chief hero's) character, and to the theme of the relation of ordinary life (breathing, eating, working, begetting) and quests, sacrifice, causes, and the 'longing for Elves', and sheer beauty.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #15
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
Frodo dealt with it by personal action. He did not place his faith in a god/demigod to neutralize the sin/evil but acted to negate it.
That's because depending on a god wouldn't have fitted with the general style of the rest of the story. There were gods in ME, but Tolkien expressed their presence only implicitly in LOTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
Be careful with these angles, you truly can read whatever you want into some of this stuff.
I'm not reading anything into such an analogy. I'm only saying that Tolkien could've based Mount Doom on Purgatory as a model (just like he based Turin on Oedipus), the possible theological implications that follow are (of course) questionable, but I'm talking about the model itself.