Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Desktop Wiki

I'm honestly not sure if this should go in the bug/tech forum or here... but since it has nothing to do with the board, I think I'll put it here.

I'd like to try to set up some kind of filing system for my computer (a 13" Macbook). I have two reasons:

1. I would like to set up a list of my CD collection. That way if I want to know if I have a certain Aria on any of my 'collection' CDs (like The Radiant Voice of Barbara Bonney), I can just type in the title, and a list of any CDs I have with that aria on it will come up. Or if I type in a musician's name, it'll come up with all of the CDs I have that they've performed on.

2. I've been creating a fantasy world for several years now, and it's getting to the stage where I have so much data... I just can't organize it simply through Word documents. I mean, I sort of can, but it's just not as clean as I'd like it to be.

So I -think- setting up some kind of a 'wiki' on my computer would help me with those two things... but is it possible to even do that?

I suppose I could sort of 'build my own' from my HTML knowledge, but if there's something like that already set up, I'd rather use it.

Any help?
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

For the CD's I'd suggest a sort of database programme. The only one I know thoroughly enough to suggest is Access, in which I've made a good, usable database for our books. I can very easily search on title, author, series and location. The downpoint is that it's a microsoft programme and I have no ideas it even works on a Mac (never worked with one of those).

As for the fantasy world... I don't know. The world I once built with a friend was pretty extensive, but not so much it couldn't fitted in a Word document, with chapters per country and a few hyperlinks just like in Wikipedia articles. But if you say you're beyond that stage with yours, I don't know what could help you on this one.