Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

Martial Arts

Does anyone else on the moot take any form of martial arts? If so, what style of martial art, how long have you been taking it, what do you think of it, how much do you like it, what rank are you, etc...

I have been a member of the Order of Isshinryu Karate for almost three years and am a second-degree brown belt. I love my style and my sensei and love to spar. I am very interested in other styles so if you take anything, don't be shy.

Shelob's Hubby

I think so Brain, but without ears, we look like weasels.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The Last Alliance of Orcs and Spiders
Shelob's Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There's an old thread around somewhere, but I seem to recall that both spock and afro elf were big on martial arts... and liked to argue about it too!

I used to do Taekwondo... I'd like to get back into it sometime, and make it to black belt (I got up to blue belt, red tip).

IIRC, Earniel and Falagar both do Karate...

*BoP still rues the time she attempted to "lift" Earniel's pants, and got a swift kick in the shin*
Old 09-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
*BoP still rues the time she attempted to "lift" Earniel's pants, and got a swift kick in the shin*
I did? Well, I doubt I'm still as fast now so I'll have to watch my pants more carefully. I have barely trained this last year. Too much work with my thesis and my work experience came between. I've been trying to pick it up again but I have to force myself go to trainings and I feel like a sac of potatoes, a very stupid and slow sac of potatoes that is unworthy of my 7th kyu that is. I need to get back into shape rather desperately.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Mercutio

In case you didn't realize it Shelob's Hubby (do I have to type all that out when I talk to you? ), Beard of Pants (BoP) steals people's pants. So beware.

Now that I think of it, she never tried to get mine...*quickly runs away*

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm going to start kendo pretty soon. I've wanted to learn some martial arts ever since Power Rangers (about 1st grade!), and I'm really excited about it! I already have my shinai, and also my hakama and gi, and I'm anxiously awaiting my armor that was supposed to arrive in August. Yeah....so I don't really know anything yet except a couple very very basic things, but still, that's enough too get me totally psyched! Yeah!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm a red belt in TKD (Tai Kwon Do... however you spell that ) and I also have a blue belt in Kung Jung Mu Sul (Royal Korean Martial Arts).

I took the TKD when I was maybe... tenish. My whole family took it, and we were about three months away from our black belts when my mom hurt herself walking the dog (he damaged one of her fingers and seriously hurt her shoulder. i.e. she couldn't make a fist with one hand and she was in major pain for years with that shoulder). Not only that, we ended up moving and it was an hour to get there and an hour back, so we dropped out.

Then just last year, when I had nothing to do and had been forced to drop out of gymnastics because the gym here was awful, I asked my parents if I could take a form of martial arts. I ended up in Kung Jung Mu Sul, and I LOVED it at first.

Then I reached yellow belt and had to start sparring . I really hate sparring- I don't like the concept of trying to hurt someone and having them trying to hurt me back. Yes I know what you're going to say, and I know the reasons, but I still dislike it. I'm not a physical person in ANY way (as I've found out playing tag football with some other guys... I dun like tagging or being tagged).

So anyways, I ended up dropping out of KJMS.

If I do take up karaty again, it's going to be one of the "soft" styles that doesn't require you to spar and/or is kata based. I'm perfectly willing to and capable of defending myself with what I know, but I just hate sparring like nothing else.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ahh, grasshopper, your memory is long. Many years have I studied Tae Kwon Do, Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, Judo and Tai Chi, and yet I consider myselft a student holding senior Togakure-Ninjitsu and licensed Sensei, Yondan-Hakkoryu Juijitsu rankings. Ground is very hard and body reminds one of it after a few decades. I'm now "retired" as I'm in a rural area with zip amount of schools. A few minutes in the back yard as permitted by time etc. is enough to keep my brain from disintergrating.

Last edited by Spock : 09-11-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #8
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

Sparring

In response to Tessar's comment about sparring, martial arts can be learned strictly through kata and thats how it used to be. Originally, you learned the kata and then went out and got into real fights on your own. You didn't learn by sparring, you learned by perfecting your kata and used fighting as a way to see how good you were.
Personaly I love to spar. Since I can't really go out and beat people up (too young to go to bars) sparring gives me that chance. You definitely have to either not mind pain or be slightly masochistic (me) to stay with most martial arts. My sensei once said to the class, "If your in this class, your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor." he is definitely right. So, if you don't like to spar consider yourself normal and more sane than the rest of us.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
In case you didn't realize it Shelob's Hubby (do I have to type all that out when I talk to you? ), Beard of Pants (BoP) steals people's pants. So beware.

Now that I think of it, she never tried to get mine...*quickly runs away*
Oh, well then I already foiled BoP's plan. I never wear pants when I'm online anyway. And no, you don't have to type my name out.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*BoP's mind runs away with her* Oh yes? Are you one of those... Tolkien... fetishists? ....

<edit on topic>

As for sparring, I used to love it! Where else would I get a chance to go two against one... wait... that came out wrong....

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-11-2004 at 04:00 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelob's Hubby
Oh, well then I already foiled BoP's plan. I never wear pants when I'm online anyway.
What makes you so sure that will stop her!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Advanced Brown Belt in general Martial Arts. The school I attend does not focus on any one martial art, though it is very karate heavy. We also do jujitsu, very little Tae Kwan Do (in my opinion TKD is almost useless), judo, and several other styles I can't quite remember. We also have a tengu sword training class in the same school, and we do other weapons work on occassion. I've been going for ten years, but haven't tested to up my belt in a couple of years because my attendance to class has been sporadic at best since I started working and school.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #13
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

I'd agree with the statement that Tae Kwon Do is pretty much useless. It is a sport, not a martial art. My sensei has a nickname for Tae Kwon Do. Take Your Dough. I'm not insulting anyone who takes it, I understand that it can be very fun. Just realize that it is not street-applicable.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well in Japanese mythology a tengu is a mountain spirit with claws (body of a man and can shape shift as well). As for TKD it's harder as you get older to do all those kicks and you need a lot of room to do them. Not much use in an elevator or a crowded street. A great martial art though if you don't want it for lifetime self-defense.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well, TKD is great for tournament stuff and the fancy kicks, but it's nearly useless for actual self-defense.

Maybe I have the name of the sword work wrong...it's been awhile since I've done it and I'm not very good at ALL. We use bokkans.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
Maybe I have the name of the sword work wrong...it's been awhile since I've done it and I'm not very good at ALL. We use bokkans.
Right, the wooden sword used for practice in Kendo and in many other Japanese arts is a Boken while the two killing swords are referred to as Katana. The long sword is the Wakizashi while the short one carried next to it is called the Daito. A personal blade often carried within the home is a Tanto. Then you have the long staff or "Bo" and the short staff called a "jo".
Then there is the Shinai which is mostly used in Kendo and in Zen teaching.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Spock : 09-13-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I have a jo as well, and collie sticks, as well as...arg..what are they called. I know, I just can't remember. Sticks with a handle, you do a lot of spinning work with them (and whack yourself in the elbow...ow).

Maybe it's Kendo. I can't remember, it's been awhile since I went to class. And I still spell it bokkan for some reason.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #18
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...to quote Arnold, "trust me" on the spelling. Kali sticks with a handle sound like "tonfa" used in Okinawa to thresh rice crops. They are a difficult weapon to master and with nunchuks, account for many injuries to those practicing them. Police in many cities now carry similar sticks to the Tonfa in place of the old night stick.

Last edited by Spock : 09-13-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #19
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Is it true that a Kung Fu guy could take a Karate guy any day of the week?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Basically that's true after 9pm on TNT All arts are dangerous if mastered, the problem is the proficiency of the user.