Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Yer Technological Problem Solving Thread

Ask yer questions heire an' sum'body will a'tempt to anser.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

What is involved in fixing your PS2 to play region encoded DVDs/games? Is it hard?
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

No.

...next ....

download something bang it on a cd or dvd and put it in and follow instructions i think
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

cheers!

Had kinda assumed Anduril was joking ... given my topical occasional brush with authority over topics such as keeping on topics...

... the topic wanders off down a whole new dangerous route...

i won't mention how hard it is... to try and keep it on topic

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-29-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
What is involved in fixing your PS2 to play region encoded DVDs/games? Is it hard?
One way about it is to get something called a mod chip, but those are of questionable legality, and reputable stores that repair game hardware specialize in removing, not installing them. And because you have to solder it onto the circuit board, it's not something you should attempt at home without some experience in electrical engineering.

Region protection is built right into the hardware, so you're going to have to tinker with it no matter what. It will void the warranty, but from what I hear about the PS2's defect rate, that's not such a huge setback.

These adapter cards claim to avoid all of that hassle, though.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

My internet admin has seen fit to change the handling of attachment files. First of all, when you browse for a file to attach, a new browse box appears and this repeats itself until you got 7 browse boxes with attachments in them. How silly is that?

There previous system was much simpler. You browsed for a file and then sent it over to an attachment-box via an Attach-button located beside this box.

Another idiocy which I just now discovered was that when you click on a html-file it opens right away instead of that the grey box with the open/save options appearing first.

Now I temporarily solved it by right-buttoning the files and chose the "save as a target" (is that the correct English frase?) and the files were saved in the folder which I wanted them in except for one peculiarity and that was, I was saving a version of a file that I had before and the save-option DID NOT ask if I wanted to "write over" the old file which is the usual procedure. How come?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Doesn't that work only with the new PS2s (pop-up lids)? My hacker friend puts a special disc into the system first, which affects it somehow, then replaces it with the game, while the lid is still open and the laser reading, which is impossible on the original PS2. That might be some alternative to the mod chip. IDK.

Grey Wolf, I can't help you, but I totally forgot English wasn't your first language. You speak/type it perfectly, and your American accent in the first post!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
My internet admin has seen fit to change the handling of attachment files. First of all, when you browse for a file to attach, a new browse box appears and this repeats itself until you got 7 browse boxes with attachments in them. How silly is that?

There previous system was much simpler. You browsed for a file and then sent it over to an attachment-box via an Attach-button located beside this box.

Another idiocy which I just now discovered was that when you click on a html-file it opens right away instead of that the grey box with the open/save options appearing first.

Now I temporarily solved it by right-buttoning the files and chose the "save as a target" (is that the correct English frase?) and the files were saved in the folder which I wanted them in except for one peculiarity and that was, I was saving a version of a file that I had before and the save-option DID NOT ask if I wanted to "write over" the old file which is the usual procedure. How come?
I think I understand your problem. I assume you're talking about an e-mail client program. Which client is it? There might be some way to set the preferences so it behaves the way you expect, but I don't know what system you're on or what you are using.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
I think I understand your problem. I assume you're talking about an e-mail client program. Which client is it? There might be some way to set the preferences so it behaves the way you expect, but I don't know what system you're on or what you are using.
I'm not sure what you mean by cleint program, but this is how I got my current email-adress: I logged on my page on Tele2's homepage when I got my ADSL subscription information from them and made up a webmail- (Their term for it and a kind of hotmail-lookalike.) adress for me (you could actually have 5 adresses.) and up to a couple of weeks ago they had the former system of handling attacthments (there is no option for changing how you save/open attachment, btw).

Is gmail better? (I did notice that even hotmail has been updating their attachment-handling system, but since I hardly use it at all nowadays, it was another surprise, because they had a very good system of handling attachements; You browse for a file and then Ok'd it or continued to browse and OK, browse and OK until you had all the files you wanted to attach and then did a final OK only to transfer the attached files to the mail-page.)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh, I see. If you're using Webmail (i.e. you read it in your Internet Explorer or Firefox browser), there's nothing you can do. By "client program" I meant reading your e-mail in a separate computer program designed for e-mail, like Eudora, Outlook Express or Thunderbird. It's a little trickier to set up if you're not used to it, but it ends up being a lot faster and a lot more customizable, and you don't need to worry about storage space to save old e-mails.

I've heard good things about Gmail. I don't use it, because I don't use Webmail. But since you're used to Webmail, compared to the alternatives, it is by far the best - it has the most storage space for old e-mail, it's supposed to be pretty fast, and I've heard the advertising isn't too much worse than the text advertising on Google. Definitely use it if the only alternatives are your current service and Hotmail (which you should avoid at all costs).

If you get a new account set up, it should also be possible to set up your current e-mail address so it directs all your e-mails to your new one.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:35 AM   #11
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
Oh, I see. If you're using Webmail (i.e. you read it in your Internet Explorer or Firefox browser), there's nothing you can do. By "client program" I meant reading your e-mail in a separate computer program designed for e-mail, like Eudora, Outlook Express or Thunderbird. It's a little trickier to set up if you're not used to it, but it ends up being a lot faster and a lot more customizable, and you don't need to worry about storage space to save old e-mails.

I've heard good things about Gmail. I don't use it, because I don't use Webmail. But since you're used to Webmail, compared to the alternatives, it is by far the best - it has the most storage space for old e-mail, it's supposed to be pretty fast, and I've heard the advertising isn't too much worse than the text advertising on Google. Definitely use it if the only alternatives are your current service and Hotmail (which you should avoid at all costs).

If you get a new account set up, it should also be possible to set up your current e-mail address so it directs all your e-mails to your new one.
Thanks for your helpful info.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

This is gonna sound like a retarded question, but - I wonder, can someone tell me how to include a portion of a quote from someone else's post in your reply post? Everyone else can do this except for me; after months of Mooting I still can't seem to figure out how to do this. What is WRONG with me?!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Option 1: Click on the Quote button on that person's post. Then close the quote tags around the portion you want to quote.

Option 2: Manual quoting. Put in your own quote tags, i.e.

{quote=whoever}Blah blah blah{/quote}

...but change the curly brackets to square brackets. So you get:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever
Blah blah blah
Sorry for the rushed explanation.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-08-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

[Click on the Quote button on that person's post. Then close the quote tags around the portion you want to quote.]

trying...like this?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #15
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

dammit! that didn't work. Tell me again, Anduril

Old 08-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #16
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
dammit! that didn't work. Tell me again, Anduril
On my post, at the bottom right, you've got a "Quote" button. When you click that it will bring up a "Reply to Thread" page with my post in the body of the message, with the {quote} tag at the beginning, and the closing {/quote} at the end. With square brackets.

Whatever is between the quote tags will be quoted. When you use any type of tags, they must always be closed, i.e. {/quote}.

By the way, the only reason I'm not using [] brackets is because I'll end up quoting everything in my post.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:30 AM   #17
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
On my post, at the bottom right, you've got a "Quote" button. When you click that it will bring up a "Reply to Thread" page with my post in the body of the message, with the {quote} tag at the beginning, and the closing {/quote} at the end. With square brackets.

{Whatever is between the quote tags will be quoted.} When you use any type of tags, they must always be closed, i.e. {/quote}.

By the way, the only reason I'm not using [] brackets is because I'll end up quoting everything in my post.
like this?

Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #18
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

NO! dammit, I feel so retarded. lemme try again...

Old 08-09-2005, 03:34 AM   #19
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

[QUOTE=Andúril]

[Whatever is between the quote tags will be quoted.]

there. will this work...

Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #20
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

NO!! dammit dammit, I cannot figure it out. What the hell's the matter with me?!