Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2002, 07:04 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

anti-immigration

Australia turned away some people last years and in europe there is a move to curb immigration

do you support this yes or no and why

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

For once in my life time, I don't have an opinion. How are Republicans supposed to be on immigratioin?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:49 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

so are you just a follower ?

whatever the GOP platform you follow JUST because you're are a REP.

COME ON

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-17-2002, 08:17 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I say no. Anti-immigration laws suck.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
emplynx

No, I am not, I apologize I made it sound that way. I go with what I think is right. I have no problem saying Republicans are wrong on something. But 99% of the time I agree with GOP views. I was simply wondering how Republicans viewed immigration, I have no opinion. Probaby because I live in a southern west virginia that doesn't git any immigrants except the people who run the 2 Chinese and 1 mexican restaurant and some asian doctors. West Virginia is 95% white and I have lived here my entire life.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

EMPLYNX gotcha

FF why?

At one time i was against anti-imm

but now no.

I'll explain later

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-17-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

This is really a tough issue. (By the way, Republicans tend to favor stricter immigration laws). I think the borders should be open to everyone who comes through legal channels one the one hand.
But on the other hand I think about all of the people who were born here who are jobless, poor, undereducated and how a population inflated by unchecked immigration only means less for those people. And I think illegal immigration is wrong. Now that NAFTA is in effect in North America, factories are moving their operations to Mexico because the labor is so much cheaper, and of course it has cost Americans jobs (I see it first hand in my area). This isn't all bad, because I feel that with all the advantages people in this country have, most people should aspire to a higher education and a jobs that are more complex (we really need qualified people in science and medicine for instance). But the problem is that with all of the factories moving down there, it should better the standard of living there, thus reducing the need of people to come here illegally. But it is as bad as ever.
And those illegal immigrants generally get paid under the table and so do not pay taxes, but get fake IDs and get qualified for all sorts of govt programs (free medical care, food stamps, etc.) paid for by hard working people who are here legally and do pay taxes. As I said it's a very tough issue and I am torn on it. I think it will be up to lawmakers to draft legislation that will strike a balance between a free for all and "no one gets in."

As far as Australia turning them away, I am torn as well. I certainly understand why they did it. Those people were going to be nothing but an expense for the government. More mouths to feed if you will. They were led astray by the people that brought them there illegally (those are the ones that really need to have the book thrown at them). But the compassionate side of me says "Those poor people! They shouldn't have to suffer."
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 11:01 AM   #8
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
EMPLYNX gotcha
Wow. Thanks, what was a really respectful answer. (by not pushing the me being a follower thing...) I really respect you for that short answer. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:02 PM   #9
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I support the stance to curb immigration.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 02:03 PM   #10
Radagast
Elven Warrior

{EDIT: Double Post}
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Where I live there is a lot of anti-immigrant feeling, and a lot of immigrants. It makes for an unpleasant situation. I wish that everyone who wanted to come into the country could just be accepted, but it's difficult to work out the logistics of it all. You want to help people, but if the native population feel they're being "swamped" you have to put a limit on it.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

radaghast

what are the reason's i'm for the curb too but i'll post why later

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-19-2002, 12:04 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I agree with Azalea that it's a very though subject. I think it is wise to keep migration under control. You can't flood a society with plenty of immigrants all at once. People need time to adapt, the immigrants as well as the natives.

And you can't keep up taking every one in. Not only isn't it impossible geographically speaking but not all immigrants are honest ones, some only end up in organised crime.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

In Israel there's lots of immigrants. They usually go to Canda, USA and Europe. I'm, personaly, against the immigration. I don't like to know that people leave our county because they are scary of the bombs. The most of the people lived here, in Israel at least 30 years and had worse situations.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:04 PM   #15
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
FF why?
Because . . .

Well, I don't know about Australia, but the U.S. brags about the Statue of Liberty and receiving the "tired and poor" of other nations, so I don't think this country at least has any right to instate anti-immigration laws, since that would obviously be extremely hypocritical.

On another level, it just seems kind of silly to me to forbid people to go to certain places on this Earth and allow them to go to others. It's not like one spot belongs to us; we belong to everything. People are people, and I don't see why certain people should be allowed somewhere and not others.

Immigrants also have a lot to contribute to a country, even if they are poor to start out with.

I haven't yet taken a stance on illegal immigrants. People who immigrate illegally are often so impoverished that I have to feel compassion towards them despite the fact that they're complicating matters and burdening the government.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:05 AM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'm for legal immigration and smart immigration. Obviously no country can accept EVERYONE that wants to enter a country.

My ancestors came over through Ellis Island in the late 1800's. If it wasn't for immigration I wouldn't be here. My family strove for a better life and we got it. One of the reasons I like living in New Jersey is because it is a microcasm of the world - there are so many people of different ethnic backgrounds and nationalities. Generally most people here get along - there are of course some narrowminded people - but overall - everyone gets along.

There is one thing that annoys me about current immigration - something I don't think that was started by immgrants though and that is the hyphenation of America. Mexican-American, Asian-American, African-American. The one time someone called me European-American and I was insulted. I think he thought it would be more PC than calling me white. I AM AMERICAN - not European. My ancestors came here for a better life and we found it. I don't consider myself Italian-Czechlosovakian-Polish-Russian-Irish-American. MY ancestors may have been from those countries - but I personally have no ties to those countries. If people want to come to this country then they should become AMERICAN. The hyphenation of America is dividing us and is weakening America.

One thing I was surprised at was that people don't really undrestand the concept of the Melting Pot. I was consulting in Indianapolis and someone said why would they want to become just like every other American. I basically explained to them that the concept of the Melting Pot is not to have everyone the same or even become like "white America"- but that they take some of our culture and we take some of their culture. Their food, dress, holidays - all gets brought into the American fabric. For example - Americans are now starting to celebrate Cinqo de Mayo; at least in Central New Jersey where I live.

Immigration for America is like the manufacturing of steel. It has made us stronger and it has also made us one of the most tolerant societies on earth. Even though their were isolated cases of violence against people of Middle Eastern descent after 9/11 - those were very isolated and rare. But - if something happens to one of our apartment complexes - like is being threatened - there will be a backlash. A backlash against Arabs, Middle-Eastern, Muslim immigrants; something I hope won't happen. For people that are unaware - it has been reported that Al-Qaeda plans on renting high apartments and then packiing it with explosives and blowing up the buildings. If that happens - I can guarantee that Americans will call for all immigrants of middle-eastern descent to be expelled and to restrict immigration from that part of the world. The thing is - who could really blame us if we did go that way?

Although I am for legal immigration - the only people that have a right to be in America - are Americans.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-20-2002 at 01:14 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:37 AM   #17
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
For people that are unaware - it has been reported that Al-Qaeda plans on renting high apartments and then packiing it with explosives and blowing up the buildings. If that happens - I can guarantee that Americans will call for all immigrants of middle-eastern descent to be expelled and to restrict immigration from that part of the world. The thing is - who could really blame us if we did go that way?

Simply put, I would.

This kind of reasoning is why my city has far fewer Japanese people than you would expect for our geographical location and history. It has been one of our greatest sources of shame. Similar thing happened in the US. If I have to remind you what I'm talking about, then your history teachers should be sacked for doing a lousy job.

I tried to stay out of such a highly contentious issue, but this kind of thing just makes me feel sick. If I don't say something, I risk allowing my silence to be interpreted as not caring, or even agreement.

Regardless of my views on the economic impact of immigration in general, deportation and (heaven forbid! but it's happened before...) internment based on race or country or origin will not get my support. Never.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:51 AM   #18
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille

Simply put, I would.

This kind of reasoning is why my city has far fewer Japanese people than you would expect for our geographical location and history. It has been one of our greatest sources of shame. Similar thing happened in the US. If I have to remind you what I'm talking about, then your history teachers should be sacked for doing a lousy job.
I don't necessarily support the deportation of people that are legally in this country. But if apartment buldings start getting blown up - you better believe the American people will want to restrict immgration against people from the Middle-East. And as I said - the only people that have a right to be in this country are Americans. By the way - I'm not even saying the government will do these things - I'm saying the American people will demand the government to do something.

Also - I am perfectly aware of the internment of the Japanese during WWII. It's not a good period in American history - and that has not happened with Muslims after 9/11. One of the largest Mosques in the country is down the street from me - nothing happened to them after 9/11. No retaliation - nothing. But it can if we continue to get attacked. It's human nature to protect yourself anyway you can. When you're fighting an unknown enemy - that is hiding behind the freedoms we offer to everyone that enters this country - it gets even worse.

By the way - I never said anything about interning anyone. I am completely against that. But if they're not American Citizens - they don't have any legal rights to be in this country - so deportation is an option. Not a good one - but it is there.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-20-2002 at 01:56 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, and no.

As someone said earlier, the book needs to be thrown at those who are misleading the illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigration is just part of a whole bigger problem. We need to look at fixing the problem, so that there is no need for these individuals to seek asylum elsewhere. That being said, humans are a shoddy bunch of people, and some of these problems will probably never go away. Can we really turn these people away? Consider where they've come from, and what they've had to put up with to get to their places of destination. It's the usual grab bag of atrocities: rape, oppression, murder, bombing, etc. It's so sad that due to an accident of birth, some people are born unto such violent climes, and being subjected to really dodgy belief systems.

My answer? I don't know. I wish WE could house them all, I really do. But the reality is, that NZ is not a rich country. We can't afford to take them all. At the same time, Australia has been housing some of those immigrants in prison for more than 2 years! That is a very bleak representation of our inability to deal with the problem.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-20-2002 at 07:22 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #20
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I'm really stupid when it comes to politics. I'm not even going to try to answer this question.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote