Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Ronald Reagan has died

Ronald Reagan, one of the great presidents, has died at the age of 93. He was intrumental in many things - his key contribution was in bringing down the Soviet Union and in his dealings with Gorbachev. There was a great thaw in the Soviet Union and American relations - even though he had called them "The Evil Empire" when he first entered office.

In addition - he is the president who brought back a sense of pride by Americans for America after Watergate and the stagflation that was suffered under Ford and Carter and the Iran Hostage situation.

This is for rememberances - not to discuss whether you agree or disagree with his policies. If you want to do that - start another thread.

There will now be a state funeral for Ronald Reagan. I may go to Washington to see.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-05-2004 at 05:44 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

I was very sad to hear that today. He was a very good man and leader, in my opinion, from what I heard about him at least: he was president when I was born.
May he rest in peace.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Radagast
Elven Warrior

He and Margaret Thatcher led the western world out of its deep slump. A good man and a great President.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i was very sad to hear that yesterday. my mom and uncle are quite upset- they worked on his campaign for the presidency. we had heard that he wasn't doing too well yesterday morning, so i wasn't really that shocked when i heard. the world lost a great person in him.

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

That's indeed sad. My condolences.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

He had a very good innings fair play to the lad seemed to of done some good as well
Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I have a letter from Reagan sent to me after I was born.

My mom knew someone who worked in the the white house and he got the president to send it to me. I don't know if he actually wrote it or not, but it is a nice letter signed by him.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

We live near the Reagan library and will probably go to pay our respects. They cancelled classes at nearby Moorpark college and are running buses 24 hours a day to the library. I've heard they're expecting 2000 visitors an hour. My husband and I used to play softball with Michael Reagan years ago.

I saw just a brief bit of the service when they moved his body to the library. Nancy's quite a woman ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
Hawklan
Enting

although the reagan thatcher era was a very hard one for us brits,he cant be blamed for that ( just HER)I always had the impression he was quite a good guy who tried his best,i quite liked him,quite sad hes dead ( wish it was her....sorry that slipped out)
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

*refrains from making a snide remark out of respect for the dead*

See, JD? SEE? I do have restraint!

*wanders off*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #11
Hawklan
Enting

does that mean i was wrong ?
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:56 AM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

If you mean wrong about Reagan, Hawklan, I'd say no. It's extremely obvious by now that many, MANY people liked and admired him. I live about 20 minutes away from the Reagan library and our family was planning to brave the (what I thought was a) 3-hour wait to go over there and pay our respects, as well as have the kids be part of an important historical event. However, we know some cops who have been working over there, and it's apparently more like a 5 or 6 hour wait There's no way the kids can make it tonight or early tomorrow - the oldest has finals tomorrow, so we couldn't even start until tomorrow at 5 pm or so. We might still give it a try, depending upon what the local news says the wait is, but I doubt it. They've already extended the viewing hours from Tues 6 pm to Tuesday midnight, to try to accomodate the thousands upon thousands of people that wish to pay their respects to him.

My husband and brother-in-law just left a few minutes ago to go over there (lucky dogs!) They're going to drive as close to Moorpark college as they can until the traffic stops, then park the car and hop on their bikes and ride the rest of the way - it should save probably an hour and a half to 2 hours that way.

I was watching some of the coverage, and found out that at the library, Reagan is not "in state", he's "in repose" (he'll be "in state" in Washington). You guys know how usually the changes of guards are all snappy and feet stamping and sharp? Well, I saw a guard change, and it was in slow motion - very cool, I've never seen that before - apparently that's the style for the "in repose" mode. I liked it - very respectful and solemn.

People are in tears, soldiers old and young are saluting - and they've all waited 5 or more hours in line for about a 2-minute viewing.

I'd say you're quite right, Hawklan - MANY people liked this man a lot. And IMO, for a very good reason. His and Nancy's marriage alone is reason to respect him (and her). One of my favorite parts in the library are some of his love letters to her - really amazing.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 06-08-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #13
Rían

Update: Hubby and bro-in-law got to MP college at 11:30 pm; I spoke to them at 6 am and they were FINALLY on the bus on the way to the library!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #14
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Wow... sounds like it has become an all-day excursion! Would be nice if they could find a way to do a national tour or something, but that would probably over-prolong the family's grieving.

So long President Reagan! Sail west, straight and true...

Hah! It just came to mind, how the balloon popped while he was giving the one speech... he paused and said, "You missed." Wasn't all that long after the failed assassination attempt... at least it was still clear in our minds.

Certainly had his detractors - but was, I think, good for our nation - and for the very world. So funny how he was, and how he was perceived. He turned 70 right around his first inauguration - and some always suspected his fitness of mind (I remember an old political cartoon of his 'handlers' looking paniced and rushing to the mike as Reagan was speaking, saying: "And now... to deviate from my script..." something he was famous for - but he always did alright).

He carried us well. One guy I worked with long ago didn't even really respect him much for himself, but admired that while he "wasn't that competent himself, he surrounded himself with good people."

Whatever he was... or did... it sure worked. I don't think it's fair to completely leave him out of that equation... or think that we just 'got lucky' for those eight years.

Say - I believe I heard he was the only person to author a book while a sitting President. Anyone remember the title? It never got a lot of press attention.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #15
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
If you mean wrong about Reagan, Hawklan, I'd say no. It's extremely obvious by now that many, MANY people liked and admired him. I live about 20 minutes away from the Reagan library and our family was planning to brave the (what I thought was a) 3-hour wait to go over there and pay our respects, as well as have the kids be part of an important historical event. However, we know some cops who have been working over there, and it's apparently more like a 5 or 6 hour wait There's no way the kids can make it tonight or early tomorrow - the oldest has finals tomorrow, so we couldn't even start until tomorrow at 5 pm or so. We might still give it a try, depending upon what the local news says the wait is, but I doubt it. They've already extended the viewing hours from Tues 6 pm to Tuesday midnight, to try to accomodate the thousands upon thousands of people that wish to pay their respects to him.

My husband and brother-in-law just left a few minutes ago to go over there (lucky dogs!) They're going to drive as close to Moorpark college as they can until the traffic stops, then park the car and hop on their bikes and ride the rest of the way - it should save probably an hour and a half to 2 hours that way.

I was watching some of the coverage, and found out that at the library, Reagan is not "in state", he's "in repose" (he'll be "in state" in Washington). You guys know how usually the changes of guards are all snappy and feet stamping and sharp? Well, I saw a guard change, and it was in slow motion - very cool, I've never seen that before - apparently that's the style for the "in repose" mode. I liked it - very respectful and solemn.

People are in tears, soldiers old and young are saluting - and they've all waited 5 or more hours in line for about a 2-minute viewing.

I'd say you're quite right, Hawklan - MANY people liked this man a lot. And IMO, for a very good reason. His and Nancy's marriage alone is reason to respect him (and her). One of my favorite parts in the library are some of his love letters to her - really amazing.
They have his love letters in a library? Christ- only in bloody America!
Old 06-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
They have his love letters in a library? Christ- only in bloody America!
YOu obviously have NO IDEA what the presidential Library is - otherwise you would not make such an arrogant statement. The Presidential Libraries are Museums where majority of the information on that president is stored - that includes important personal items such as hand written love letters that allow researchers to learn and study the personal aspects of the man who was president. The love letters between Abigail Adams and John Adams while he was in the Continental Congress are famous and many books have been written about his correspondence between him and his wife. It gives an inside and personal view of his convictions and opinion on important items of the day.

I feel your statement is just another example fo someone making a comment about America when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Here is a link so you can educate yourself - Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Quote:
About Presidential Libraries

The Presidential Library system is made up of ten Presidential Libraries. This nationwide network of libraries is administered by the Office of Presidential Libraries, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), located in College Park, MD. These are not traditional libraries, but rather repositories for preserving and making available the papers, records, and other historical materials of U.S. Presidents since Herbert Hoover. Each Presidential library contains a museum and provides an active series of public programs. Also included in the Presidential library system is the Nixon Presidential Materials Staff, which administers the Nixon Presidential materials under the terms of the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act. When a President leaves office, NARA establishes a Presidential project until a new Presidential library is built and transferred to the Government...

...The ten Presidential Libraries and the Nixon Presidential Materials Staff, maintain over 300 million pages of textual materials; 7 million photographs; 14.5 million feet of motion picture film; 83,000 hours of disc, audiotape, and videotape recordings; and 350,000 museum objects. These varied holdings make each library a rich source of information and a center for research on the Presidency.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-08-2004 at 03:25 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:28 PM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I am closing all the political threads until further notice. I do not consider this a political thread, so let's not turn it into one, or it will be closed also.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
YOu obviously have NO IDEA what the presidential Library is - otherwise you would not make such an arrogant statement.
He doesn't live here, jd- no need to be so haughty.

(Personally, President or not, if I were him I wouldn't want my letters in any kind of library or museum.)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
He doesn't live here, jd- no need to be so haughty.
It doesn't matter. This is a memorialization thread. Let's keep it that way.

Quote:
(Personally, President or not, if I were him I wouldn't want my letters in any kind of library or museum.)
It isn't done underhandedly. He knew that certian things would end up there and gave his permission, or allowed his family to donate them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #20
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Well, it's...a novel idea. I'll give it that.